These crispy baked chicken drumsticks are marinated in a savory dressing, tossed in a homemade gluten free bread crumb mixture, and baked to perfection. Almost like a keto shake and bake, these baked chicken legs are crispy and well seasoned on the outside and juicy on the inside. Less then 10 ingredients are needed to make these gluten free baked chicken legs.
How Are These Crispy Baked Chicken Drumsticks Breaded
These keto chicken legs (drumsticks) are breaded in a gluten free bread crumb substitute. Click here for that recipe here. You will need to prepare the batch of bread crumbs while your chicken is marinating so that everything is ready when it’s time to prepare the chicken. Don’t be intimidated though, these bread crumbs are incredibly simply to make and only take about 10 minutes and 3 ingredients. Watch the video for a tutorial.
How Long to Bake Chicken Drumsticks
Baking chicken drumsticks (legs) in the oven is very simply. Since the majority of meat is on the outside and surrounding bone, they cook quite quickly. Use a baking sheet with a wFor the average size drumstick, 30 to 35 minutes should be perfect. Of course, you can verify doneness with a meat thermometer. When the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees, the chicken is fully cooked.
What Do These Crispy Keto Chicken Legs Taste Like
These chicken drumsticks are very similar to (keto) shake and bake! The chicken is first marinated in this maple dijon marinade so that the meat stays juicy and flavorful. Then, the drumsticks are rolled around in the keto breadcrumbs until well coated. The sweetness from the marinade balances the saltiness of the breading. The breading gets nice and crispy in the oven and prevents the chicken from drying out. If you were a shake and bake fan before your healthy eating journey began, you’re going to love these baked chicken legs!
Tips for Breading These Baked Chicken Legs
To keep this recipe egg free, the chicken legs are not dredged in egg before the breadcrumbs. As with most breaded meats, there will be a little bit of breading lost in the oven but the oil from the marinade helps keep the breading on nicely. If you do not have egg allergies and prefer to dip the drumsticks in egg first, that is perfectly fine!
Options for Serving the Drumsticks
These crispy baked drumsticks are great for a weeknight meal but could also be served at a cookout for the 4th of July! Try pairing one of these healthy low carb side dishes with your crispy chicken legs:
- Brussel Sprout Salad with Hot Bacon Dressing
- Tossed Salad with Dijon Vinaigrette (same as what the chicken is marinated in)
- Keto Buttermilk Cornbread
- Prepare the marinade according to the directions in this post. Place the drumsticks in a large bowl and pour the mariade over them. Cover and refrigerate a minimum of 3 hours, up to overnight.
- While the chicken is marinating, prepare the bread crumbs as directed in this recipe. They're very easy and only take 10 minutes to make!
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a wire rack. Lightly coat with cooking spray to prevent sticking.
- Place the bread crumbs in a shallow bowl or pie plate. Use tongs to remove the chicken from the marinade and place them 2 at a time in the breading.
- Evenly coat each drumstick with the bread crumbs. Place them on the wire rack.
- Bake for 15 minutes, flip, and cook another 15 to 20 minutes.
- Let cool 5 minutes before serving.
This recipe does not call for the chicken to be dredged in egg before breading. The oil from the marinade should be enough to keep the coating adhered. However, you may first dredge the drumsticks in a beaten egg if so desired. This will slightly increase calories but will not affect carbs.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 drumsticks Serving Size: 1 drumstick
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 330Total Fat: 22gCarbohydrates: 6gNet Carbohydrates: 1.1gFiber: 4.9gProtein: 28.6g
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and is approximate.