Chicken drumsticks (chicken legs) are a budget friendly meat that are great for a variety of lifestyles like keto, paleo, and gluten free. Chicken legs are marinated in an easy homemade keto marinade before getting cooked to perfection in your choice of oven or grill. These keto chicken drumsticks are low calorie, low fat, dairy free, and nearly zero carb. Suitable to serve for your 4th of July cookouts or a weeknight dinner!
What Are these Chicken Legs Marinated In
These keto chicken legs are marinated in my simple dijon vinaigrette. The marinade is sweet, tangy, and pairs excellently with the chicken. Dijon mustard, maple syrup, and fresh herbs make the marinade light and fresh. It is naturally clean and acceptable for a variety of diets like keto or paleo. You could also try this easy keto lemon dill marinade. It is best to marinate your chicken overnight but a minimum of 3 hours will suffice.
How To Grill Chicken Drumsticks
Grilling chicken drumsticks is a great starting point if you’re not comfortable around a grill yet. They cook quickly and evenly so it’s hard to mess them up. Plus, the darker meat of legs keeps the drumsticks juicy and tender so you shouldn’t end up with dried out chicken like it is easy to do with breast meat.
To make these keto chicken drumsticks on the grill, preheat your grill to medium hight (around 500 degrees F). Use tongs to remove the chicken legs from the bowl they have been marinating in and place them skin side down on the grill over the flames(aka direct heat). Close your grill lid and leave the chicken undisturbed for 5 to 6 minutes. Open the grill lid and use your tongs to flip the chicken legs. If they stick at all, let them continue cooking for another minute or so. Otherwise, your skin will peel off.
Continue cooking and rotating the chicken legs for another 5 to 7 minutes with the grill door open. Use a basting brush to baste some of the marinade onto the chicken legs while they finish cooking. This will give them a sticky sweet coating and any bacteria will cook off from the high heat. They should develop a nice char on the outside. Remove them to a plate and tent with foil for 5 minutes before serving.
How To Bake Chicken Legs in the Oven
To bake these chicken drumsticks in an oven, preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with tin foil and place a wire rack on top. Spray the rack with a bit of cooking spray. Evenly space the chicken legs on the rack with the skin side up. Bake for about 30 minutes until the skin is nice and crisp. Let them rest 5 minutes before eating.
Can Thighs or Breasts be Substituted for the Drumsticks
This recipe can be made with chicken thighs or breasts. Cooking time will need to be slightly adjusted depending on the cut of meat. Boneless thighs with the skin-on will take approximately the same amount of time as legs. Boneless and skinless thighs will take significantly less time. Breasts will need to be cooked about 8 minutes per side and the internal temperature needs to reach 165 degrees F.
How To Serve Keto Chicken Drumsticks
These keto chicken drumsticks are great for your 4th of July cookouts! Serve them with a big salad that is tossed in the same dressing as the marinade (same recipe). You can also serve them with:
- Easy Keto Coleslaw
- BBQ Brussel Sprouts or BBQ Brussel Sprouts
- Brussel Sprout Salad with Hot Bacon Dressing
- The Perfect Mashed Cauliflower
- Keto Cornbread Muffins
- 3 pounds chicken drumsticks/legs, about 12 drumsticks
- 1 batch dijon vinaigrette
- Prepare the marinade according to the directions in this post. Place the drumsticks in a large bowl and pour the mariade over them. Cover and refrigerate a minimum of 3 hours, up to overnight.
To Make on the Grill:
- Preheat grill to medium-high, 500 degrees F.
- Place the drumsticks skin side down on direct heat (over the flames). Close the grill lid and cook 5 to 6 minutes.
- Use tongs to flip the drumsticks. If they stick when you try to turn them, leave them undisturbed for another minute and try again.
- Let the drumsticks continue cooking 5 to 7 more minutes. Use a basting brush to brush some of the marinade onto the drumsticks while they cook.
- The internal temperature of should reach 165 degrees F. Check with a meat thermometer.
- Remove from the grill and tent with foil for 5 minutes before eating.
To Make in the Oven:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with tin foil (to catch drippings) and top with a wire rack. Lightly spray with cooking spray to prevent sticking.
- Place the drumsticks on the wire rack skin side up.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. The internal temperature should reach 165 degrees F.
- Let rest 5 minutes before eating.
Try with breasts, thighs, or wings instead of legs.
This post may contain affiliate links. We earn a small commission off of sales made through these links, at no additional cost to you.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 2 drumsticks
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 476Total Fat: 26gCarbohydrates: 3.5gNet Carbohydrates: 0.7gFiber: 2.8gProtein: 53g
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and is approximate.