One of the things I always loved about eating Mexican food was the rice! It was soft, fluffy, and had the best flavor! I’ve really missed it since cutting carbs and eating keto. Don’t get me wrong, tacos by themselves are better than no tacos but having a low carb side (that isn’t salad) just takes them to the next level!
Obviously regular rice is not on a ketogenic menu so in this recipe, we use cauliflower rice. I’ve seen it packaged in the produce section, labeled as “cauliflower pearls”, or in the frozen foods section. I used Green Giant Cauliflower Rice with Veggies (no, this isn’t a sponsored post). You can also make your own cauliflower rice by shredding a head of cauliflower in a food processor.
The secret ingredient in this dish is sazon seasoning. You can find it in the ethnic foods section of your grocery store. It’s a blend of Hispanic spices and will give your rice that orange color you see in Mexican restaurants.
I kept my dish relatively mild because my kiddos don’t like spicy foods. You can certainly kick up the heat with jalapenos, extra hot Rotel, or adding cayenne pepper.
There isn’t much cooking involved with this dish either. You can have it going while you cook your taco meat and everything should be ready about the same time! I top mine with queso and hot salsa because I like to be extra like that!
Mexican Cauliflower Rice
- 1 12 oz package Green Giant Cauliflower rice medley
- 1/2 can rotel tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 pkg Sazon seasoning
- pinch of salt
- 1 Melt butter over MED heat in nonstick skillet.
- 2 Stir in cauliflower rice. Let cook 5-6 minutes until the cauliflower begins to soften. If using fresh cauliflower, this will not take as long.
- 3 Add rotel tomatoes, Sazon packet, and salt and stir to combine. Let cook 1-2 minutes.
- 4 Add the chicken stock and stir. Let simmer until all of the stock is absorbed into the rice.
- 5 Fluff with fork and serve. Garnish with cilantro if desired.
Don’t forget to pin this page to Pinterest and share with your circles! Follow me on Instagram (@keto_in_pearls) for more keto food, tips, and lifestyle tips!