Mexican food is my absolute FAVORITE! If I ever have one last meal on Earth that I can prepare for, it will include allllllll the Mexican goodies. I have always joked and said I should’ve been born Mexican because I love the food, I tan like a muy bonita señorita, and I LOVE their culture!
I’ve been meaning to post this recipe for a week but I promise it’s worth the wait! I made this on one of those nights when I was trying to use what I had on hand. It came out perfect and I knew I had to share with y’all!
If you love enchiladas, lasagna, and warm cheesy food then you’ll LOVE this recipe! My family gobbles this up every time I make it which is always a victory! The key to keeping this low carb is to find the lowest carb count tortillas you can find. La Tortilla Factory and La Banderita are great options but any low carb wrap or tortilla will work just fine.
There’s a lot of controversy regarding low carb grain based products and eating keto. Some people are adamant that you absolutely cannot have any grains on keto (i.e. a low carb tortilla). Some people think there is this long list of approved “keto foods” and “non-keto foods”. (There’s not, by the way) Keto (ketogenic) simply means eating in a way that maintains your body in the nutritional state of ketosis. It’s really pretty simple when you boil it down.
My opinion is of the “you do you boo” mentality. If you’re not gluten intolerant and a low carb tortilla doesn’t stall your weight loss, or kick you out of ketosis, then I see zero problems with them. Now, I will say I don’t think they’re something you should eat every day BUT I don’t think the occasional low carb tortilla is going to ruin you. I know it won’t.
If you’re really pressed for time OR want to make this ahead of time, rotisserie chicken is the way to go! You can meal prep this and save the baking for the day you want to eat it or freeze it until you’re ready! Serve it with this Mexican Cauliflower Rice for a muy delicioso cena.
Low Carb Mexican Lasagna
- 1.5 lbs chicken breasts, cooked and cooled
- 2.5 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 oz chopped green chiles
- 10 oz mild green enchilada sauce
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 6 low carb tortillas
- 1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2 Use a mixer to combine cream cheese and spices.
- 3 Fold in shredded chicken, green chiles, and 1.5 cups of shredded cheddar cheese.
- 4 Pour a little bit of the enchilada sauce on the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish.
- 5 Lay 2 tortillas down, overlapping if necessary.
- 6 Spread 1/3 cup of the chicken mixture on top of the tortillas.
- 7 Add 1/3 cup of the enchilada sauce on top of the chicken.
- 8 Repeat layers 2 more times. Use remaining cup of cheddar cheese for top of dish.
- 9 Bake for 20 minutes until heated through and cheese is bubbly.
Use Monterey Jack cheese in place of the shredded cheddar for an extra kick!