This one bowl dairy free chocolate cake is perfect for birthdays, holidays, and after dinner dessert. It’s moist, chocolatey, and delicious on its own or with a dollop of whipped cream. At less than 3 net carbs per slice, you can have your [dairy free] chocolate cake and eat it too!
This recipe originally appeared on June 20, 2018.
Every home cook needs a faithful chocolate cake recipe. One that comes out perfect every time, isn’t a huge fuss to make, and everyone loves to eat.
Even us low carbers deserve a solid chocolate cake recipe. Those folks who say to “stay away from keto treats” are not our kind of people.
This dairy free chocolate cake recipe was inspired by the Depression era mayonnaise cakes. I first made this keto chocolate cake back in June 2018 when I was craving chocolate cake but plumb out of butter.
My family has loved this cake for the last several years and today it gets a makeover and the proper attention it deserves!
You Are Going To Love This Dairy Free Chocolate Cake
And here’s why:
- One bowl recipe
- No butter required (but if you love butter then try this chocolate cake recipe too)
- Keto, paleo, gluten free
- Kids love it
- Less than 3 net carbs per slice
- Can be made in a bundt pan, 9×13, or round cake pans
- Perfect with or without frosting
Making Your Own Keto Chocolate Bundt Cake
There are times when I want to bust out my best baking skills and pretend I’m on an episode of the Great British Baking Show.
And then there are times I just. need. cake. and don’t feel like fussing with the fancy stuff.
That’s when this dairy free chocolate recipe comes in handy!
This cake only requires one bowl and a whisk to make. Mix, dump, bake, eat.
You can choose to use a bundt pan, 9×13 pan, or round cake pans (8″ or 9″). You could even double it for a multi-layer cake.
If you need a chocolate keto birthday cake, this one will do the trick!
I like to garnish mine with a dusting of powdered sweetener and a sprig of fresh mint. But, if you do want to frost it, check out these frosting recipes I have: Chocolate Buttercream Frosting or Chocolate Fudge Frosting.
Ingredients and Substitutions
This keto dairy free chocolate cake recipe is very straightforward and I am confident you have all of the ingredients in your kitchen already. You should not need to substitute anything but if you do, here’s some helpful information:
- Almond flour: do not try and substitute coconut flour for the almond flour. They are not congruent in the gluten free baking world.
- Mayonnaise: use whichever brand you prefer. I love Chosen Foods Avocado Oil Mayonnaise but I’m a southerner and still use Duke’s all the time. Whatever you prefer will be just fine!
- Sweeteners: both granular and powdered sweeteners work fine in this keto chocolate cake recipe. You can use whichever brand (Swerve, Lakanto, Sukrin, Pyrure, etc.) you prefer. If using powdered sweetener, be sure to cut the amount by half as powdered erythritol are a 2:1 ratio. I use these sweeteners in my recipes these days.
- 2 cups almond flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup granulated sweetener (I use this)
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1.25 cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a bundt pan and set aside.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Use a whisk to get any lumps out.
- Add the eggs, mayo, and vanilla extract, mix thoroughly. Slowly add the water and mix until fully combined.
- Bake for 30 minutes on the middle rack. Check for doneness with a knife. If more time is needed, bake in 3-5 minute increments until knife comes clean.
- Let the cake cool on the counter before flipping onto a plate or cutting.
- Store covered on the counter for up to 1 week.
Bundt cakes and single layer cakes will take longer to bake. If using a 9x13 or round cake pans, start checking around the 20 minute mark.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 piece
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 438Total Fat: 39.6gCarbohydrates: 6.7gNet Carbohydrates: 2.7gFiber: 4gProtein: 9.1g