If you’re craving Chinese takeout, this version of low carb beef and broccoli is sure to satisfy. This keto beef and broccoli recipe is ready in under 30 minutes and can be made in the Instant Pot, slow cooker, or stovetop. Top it with keto yum yum sauce for a even more pizzaz!
This recipe was originally shared on February 19, 2018.
Is Chinese Food Keto or Low Carb
Unfortunately, Chinese food is generally not keto friendly or even low carb. Standard Chinese food is full of preservatives, low quality meat, thickeners, and high carb sugary sauces. While many restaurants offer “healthy” options, low quality oils and seasonings are often still used. When the Chinese takeout craving strikes, it’s best to make a healthy option at home where you can control the ingredients going into your meal.
This Is The Best Low Carb Beef and Broccoli Ever
And this is why:
- Instant pot and crock-pot recipe means less clean up and fuss for you
- Kid approved
- Common ingredients for low carb Asian cooking
- Dairy free, paleo friendly, Whole30 approved (when you omit the sweetener)
- Takes only 15 minutes to cook
- Better than your cheap takeout spot
Making Your Keto Beef and Broccoli At Home
This low carb beef and broccoli is truly a breeze to make at home. This recipe for the Instant Pot, it’s even included in my cookbook, but it is adaptable for the stove top or crockpot. Check out the “notes” section of the recipe card for more information.
What Cut of Beef is Best for this Keto Beef and Broccoli Recipe
The key to a good beef and broccoli is very thinly sliced flank steak. You an even ask your grocery store butcher to do this for you. In a pinch, sirloin can also be substituted.
Serving Your Low Carb Beef and Broccoli
Try one of these other Asian inspired keto recipes with your beef and broccoli:
- Keto Lo Mein
- Keto Stir Fried Cauliflower Rice
- Sugar Free Yum Yum Sauce
- Keto Stir Fry
- Orange Ginger Beef
Ingredients and Substitutions for this Low Carb Beef and Broccoli
Not sure what fish sauce is? Don’t have arrowroot on hand? Here’s a list of substitutions you can make in this recipe:
- Fish sauce– this is an ingredient common in Asian cooking. You can find it on the same aisle as soy sauce at just about all grocery stores. Don’t omit this ingredient, it adds an important flavor in the final sauce! Just hold your nose while you measure it- it stinks!
- Arrowroot– this is a grain free cornstarch substitute. It acts as a thickener for the sauce. You can read more about it in this post. If you don’t have any, use xanthan gum instead. You won’t make a slurry, so omit the water, and you’ll use a lot less. Start with 1/2 teaspoon and work your way up from there until you reach a sticky sauce consistency.
- Soy sauce– use coconut aminos if you’re gluten free. However, I’d recommend using slightly less because it is much saltier than soy.
Take-Out Style Low Carb Beef and Broccoli
- 1.5 pound flank steak thinly sliced
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons garlic
- 1 tablespoon sweetener [ I use this]
- 1.5 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder + 3 tbsp water slurry
- 1 large head broccoli cut into small pieces and steamed until tender crisp
- In large measuring cup, whisk together the soy sauce, beef broth, water, fish sauce, garlic, green onions, sweetener, and ginger.
- Place the flank steak into ziplock bag and pour marinade inside. Let meat marinate in fridge at least 30 minutes.
- Place the steak into the Instant Pot and pour the marinade on top.
- Cook on HIGH pressure for 10 minutes. Quick release the steam.
- Remove the meat from pot and put it on plate and set aside. Press cancel to clear the settings. Turn Instant Pot to SAUTE setting.
- Once the juices start to bubble, slowly whisk in the slurry. Stir continuously as sauce begins to thicken.
- Add the steak and broccoli to the pot and toss to coat.
- Serve immediately.