Satisfy your keto Chinese take-out cravings with this recipe for Instant Pot keto beef and broccoli. Crock-pot and Instant Pot instructions included.
is was one of my all time favorite ways to spend a Friday night. We would order four or five different dishes and share it with everyone while we watched a movie and have leftovers for dayssss.
We called it a poo-poo platter (don’t ask me why, haha).
When my husband and I first started dating, we ordered Chinese one night and he couldn’t believe I ordered so much food. He wasn’t keen on sharing his meal and I was completely unaware not everyone partook in Chinese takeout this way! It was one of our first lessons in compromise.
The tradition continued into marriage (now you know who gave in). Probably, okay definitely, one of the many contributions to our unhealthy lifestyle before keto.
Unfortunately, Chinese food is absolutely NOT keto friendly or low carb. Too bad it’s full of preservatives, low quality meat, thickeners, and sugar.
It’s so bad but so good! I used to think it was worth the take-out hangover. And yes, that’s a thing.
Fortunately for you, I love it so much that I’m trying to recreate keto friendly versions of some popular Chinese take-out options.
Have you tried my Pork Cauliflower Fried Rice and Yum Yum Sauce yet? They are delicious!! And if you eliminate the pork in the fried rice recipe, it makes the perfect accompaniment to this beef and broccoli!
So next time you have a hankering for Chinese take-out, whip this recipe up! You’ll spare your macros and your body of the cheap take-out hangover!
Low Carb Beef and Broccoli
Take-out style beef and broccoli made low carb and sugar free.
- 1.5 lb flank steak, thinly sliced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup soy sauce (or coconut aminos)
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tsp garlic
- 1 tbsp sweetener
- 1.5 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder + 3 tbsp water (slurry)
- 1 large head broccoli, cut into small pieces and steamed
- 1 In large measuring cup, whisk together the soy sauce, beef broth, water, fish sauce, garlic, green onions, sweetener, and ginger.
- 2 Place flank steak into ziplock bag and pour marinade inside. Let meat marinate in fridge at least 30 minutes.
- 3 Place steak into the Instant Pot and pour the marinade on top.
- 4 Cook on HIGH pressure for 10 minutes. Manually release steam.
- 5 Remove meat from pot and put on plate. Turn Instant Pot to SAUTE setting.
- 6 Once the juices start to bubble, slowly whisk in the slurry. Stir continuously as sauce begins to thicken.
- 7 Add steak and broccoli to pot and toss to coat.
To make in the crock-pot: Follow steps 1-3. Put the meat and marinade into the crock-pot and cook on LOW for 4 hours. Transfer juices to small pan on the stove. Bring to a boil and slowly whisk in slurry. Stir continuously as sauce begins to thicken. Add steak and broccoli to pot and toss to coat.