If you’re craving Chinese takeout, this version of low carb beef and broccoli is sure to satisfy. Grab some chopsticks and your Instant Pot and have your favorite takeout ready to eat in less time than it takes the delivery driver!
This recipe was originally shared on February 19, 2018.
Chinese take-out used to be one of my all time favorite ways to spend a night in. I would order four or five different dishes and share it with everyone while we watched a movie. The good life, ya know?
The beef and broccoli is one of my go-to’s. It’s so bad but so good, right? I used to think it was worth the take-out hangover (yes, that’s a thing).
Unfortunately, Chinese food is absolutely NOT keto friendly or even low carb. Too bad it’s full of preservatives, low quality meat, thickeners, and loads of carbs.
Even if you try to order something very plain at a Chinese restaurant, it’s still what I’d call a “high risk option”. Meaning that you really don’t know what you’re getting.
I love Chinese takeout so much though that I have dedicated several recipes on my blog to help you recreate some of your favorites at home, 100% keto friendly! See a full list of those recipes at the bottom of this post!
This low carb beef and broccoli recipe rivals any cheap takeout restaurant and it can be made in your instant pot!
Get your chopsticks ready friends, this is one keto Chinese recipe you don’t want to skip!
This Is The Best Low Carb Beef and Broccoli Ever
And this is why:
- Instant pot and crock-pot recipe means less clean up and fuss for you
- Kid approved
- Common ingredients for low carb Asian cooking
- Dairy free, paleo friendly, Whole30 approved (when you omit the sweetener)
- Takes only 15 minutes to cook
- Better than your cheap takeout spot
Making Your Keto Beef and Broccoli At Home
One thing I love about being a food blogger/recipe creator is the challenge in recreating restaurant favorites.
Chinese food is always a top contender when I ask the people what they want. And I oblige because…Chinese food, duh!
This low carb beef and broccoli is truly a breeze to make at home.
In the time it would take you to call your local spot, place your order, pay, and then wait for delivery, you could have made this homemade version. Seriously.
I’ve written the recipe for the Instant Pot, it’s even included in my cookbook (do you have a copy yet?!), but you could totally make this on the stove top or crockpot. Check out the “notes” section of the recipe card for more information.
The key to a good beef and broccoli is to slice your flank steak as thin as you can! You an even ask your grocery store butcher to do this for you.
You could even use shaved beef steak if you can’t get a flank steak, but I’d recommend flank for the best results.
Other than that, the instant pot will do the rest of the work for you. I call that a win!
Serving Your Low Carb Beef and Broccoli
What’s Chinese food without rice and a fortune cookie?
I can’t give you a keto fortune cookie but I can give you some awesome keto Chinese recipes to serve with your low carb beef and broccoli!
Ingredients and Substitutions
Not sure what fish sauce is? Don’t have arrowroot on hand? Here’s a list of substitutions you can make in this recipe:
- Fish sauce– this is an ingredient common in Asian cooking. You can find it on the same aisle as soy sauce at just about all grocery stores. Don’t omit this ingredient, it adds an important flavor in the final sauce! Just hold your nose while you measure it- it stinks!
- Arrowroot– this is a grain free cornstarch substitute. It acts as a thickener for the sauce. You can read more about it in this post. If you don’t have any, use xanthan gum instead. You won’t make a slurry, so omit the water, and you’ll use a lot less. Start with 1/2 teaspoon and work your way up from there until you reach a sticky sauce consistency.
- Soy sauce– use coconut aminos if you’re gluten free. However, I’d recommend using slightly less because it is much saltier than soy.
- 1.5 pound flank steak, thinly sliced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup soy sauce (or coconut aminos)
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons garlic
- 1 tablespoon sweetener (I use this)
- 1.5 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder + 3 tbsp water (slurry)
- 1 large head broccoli, cut into small pieces and steamed until tender crisp
- In large measuring cup, whisk together the soy sauce, beef broth, water, fish sauce, garlic, green onions, sweetener, and ginger.
- Place the flank steak into ziplock bag and pour marinade inside. Let meat marinate in fridge at least 30 minutes.
- Place the steak into the Instant Pot and pour the marinade on top.
- Cook on HIGH pressure for 10 minutes. Quick release the steam.
- Remove the meat from pot and put it on plate and set aside. Press cancel to clear the settings. Turn Instant Pot to SAUTE setting.
- Once the juices start to bubble, slowly whisk in the slurry. Stir continuously as sauce begins to thicken.
- Add the steak and broccoli to the pot and toss to coat.
- Serve immediately.
To make in the crock-pot: Follow steps 1-3. Put the meat and marinade into the crock-pot and cook on LOW for 4 hours. Transfer juices to small pan on the stove. Bring to a boil and slowly whisk in slurry. Stir continuously as sauce begins to thicken. Add steak and broccoli to pot and toss to coat.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 226Total Fat: 9.3gCarbohydrates: 7gNet Carbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gProtein: 28.8g