If sausage balls and potato soup got married, this would be their love child. This creamy keto sausage soup tastes just like your favorite sausage ball in soup form. Crumbled sausage, cheese, cauliflower, and cream come together for a bowl of comfort that’s perfect for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
This post was updated 1/18/2021
One of my favorite winter meals before I adopted a low carb diet was a bowl of cheesy potato soup with crumbled up sausage balls. Oh my word, it is heavenly. If I close my eyes I can almost taste it now.
Sadly, it has been an incredibly long time since I’ve eaten that meal. I genuinely miss it. Partially because it was one of those suppers where literally no-one complained about eating. I know you know what I’m talking about.
However, the other day my little food blogger lightbulb went off in my head and I had the novel idea to recreate that meal into a low carb and keto friendly recipe. This creamy keto sausage ball soup is what happens when you marry potato soup and sausage balls. Enjoy it for breakfast, lunch, or dinner- it’s really that delicious!
You’re Going To Adore This Keto Sausage Soup
Let me tell you why:
- The flavors of a sausage ball in a soup
- Similar to your favorite potato (cauliflower) soup
- Delicious any time of day, especially breakfast
- Keto friendly at just 6 net carbs per serving
- Easy and quick to make thanks to the Instant Pot
- Adaptable for the crockpot
What Does This Keto Sausage Soup Taste Like
Have you ever had a sausage ball? The kind with a whole bunch of bisquick and shredded cheddar cheese? Okay, now what about potato soup? Now, imagine you had a bowl of potato soup and crumbled up some sausage balls into it. That is exactly what this keto sausage soup tastes like!
Use Your Instant Pot To Make This Creamy Keto Sausage Soup In A Flash
The Instant Pot really was a gift from above a few years ago. That little device has saved me so much time in the kitchen over the years. Pull out your IP for this creamy keto sausage soup so you’re eating in under half an hour. Plus, since we can complete all of the recipe steps in the same pot, you’ll only have one dish to wash! If you’re more of a crockpot fan, I’ve also covered instructions for you in the recipe card below.
Serving Your Keto Sausage Ball Soup
My favorite way to eat this creamy keto sausage ball soup is with a slice of my keto cornbread and some shredded cheddar cheese on top. If I am serving this soup for supper, I like to add a robust salad alongside our cornbread. If you’re enjoying this for breakfast, try putting a fried egg on top!
- 1 pound hot ground sausage
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 16 ounces fresh cauliflower florets
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups freshly shredded cheddar cheese
- extra cheese for garnish (optional)
- In a skillet over MED HIGH heat, brown the sausage until no longer pink. Use a wooden spoon to break up into small pieces as you cook. Alternatively, you may use the SAUTE function on the Instant Pot to cook the sausage. You do not have to drain the grease unless desired.
- Transfer the sausage to the pot. Add the broth, salt, and cauliflower. Stir to combine.
- Close the lid and seal the vent. Cook on HIGH pressure for 20 minutes. Quick release the steam. Press cancel.
- Remove the lid. Use a potato masher to gently break apart the cauliflower into small pieces. Add the heavy cream and cheeses and stir until melted and combined.
- Top with cheddar cheese before serving, if desired.
To make in the crock-pot: follow steps 1 and 2. Cook on low for 5 hours or high for 3 hours. When there is 30 minutes left on the timer, add the cream cheese and stir. When the timer goes off, follow steps 4 and 5.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 7 Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 623Total Fat: 53.2gCarbohydrates: 7.5gFiber: 1.6gProtein: 26.4g