If you’re craving a taste of home, a little Southern comfort food, then this keto chicken fried steak is exactly what the chef recommends. Beef cube steak is coated in a nut free breading, fried till crispy, and served with a bit of homemade keto country gravy (linked below) for a keto country fried steak feast.
What Is (Keto) Chicken Fried Steak
It’s kind of a funny name, right? Are we making chicken or steak? Let me explain.
Keto chicken fried steak, also referred to as keto country fried steak, are cube steaks that are fried like chicken would be traditionally! Hence the chicken fried steak name. If you love fried chicken, then you’re really going to love this keto chicken fried steak!
What Kind of Meat To Use In This Low Carb Chicken Fried Steak
Contrary to its name, these “steaks” are actually cubed beef patties. Have you ever seen beef “steaks” that are pounded very thin at the grocery store? Sometimes they have an impressed pattern on them from the mallet. See an example photo here.
Those are called beef steaks or cube steaks. They’re very inexpensive and great for frying- perfect for feeding a large family on a budget.
How To Make This Keto Country Fried Steak with Gravy
Don’t be intimidated by the steps in this recipe. All we’re going to do is dredge our steaks in breading and egg, chill it for a few minutes to let everything settle into the meat (so we don’t loose it in the frying pan), fry in a hot skillet, then finish it off with a short bake in the oven. As long as you have your mis en place (i.e. everything in it’s place) and pay attention to your steps, you’ll be right on your way to enjoy this fabulous southern keto recipe!
What Does This Keto Chicken Fried Steak Taste Like
This chicken fried steak tastes just like fried chicken! As I mentioned above, the beef is breaded and cooked like traditional fried chicken. The only difference in this recipe is we do not fry until fully cooked so as to not to burn the nut free breading.
Country fried steak is usually served with white country gravy, either on the side or on top of the meat. I have a fabulous keto white country gravy recipe here that is the pièce de résistance for your chicken fried steak!
What Is Whey Protein and Can Almond Flour Be Used Instead?
If you peeked at the recipe card before reading the blog post, you probably noticed we there is no almond flour in the breading. Nut free recipe readers, rejoice!
Instead, whey protein powder is used in place of almond flour. This is because whey protein yields the perfect crisp for a low carb fried food without adding carbs. Substituting almond flour is not recommended for this particular recipe.
You can read more about whey protein powder here. I have linked unflavored whey protein powder options in the recipe card but you can also find it at nearly every health food store these days.
- 4 beef cube steaks
- 1 teaspoon flakey sea salt
- 1/3 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 cups whey protein (125g)
- 1/3 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/3 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/3 tablespoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup oil, for frying
- Season the steaks with 1/2 tsp salt split between 4 steaks and 1/3 tsp black pepper.
- Place the whey protein, spices and the remaining 1/2 tsp of salt into a large dish. Add the eggs into a separate dish.
- Dip one steak into the whey mix to coat on both sides, then into the egg, shaking off any excess, then repeat so each steak has two coats of whey and one coat of egg. Repeat for all 4 steaks. Any remaining whey mix keep to one side and add if you find they've gone a little transparent after chilling.
- Place the meat onto a cooling wrack with a baking tray underneath and chill in the fridge for 15 minutes. Option to place on a parchment lined baking tray but you will need to sprinkle with a little more whey mix before frying as the egg will soak up the whey.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Place enough oil to cover the bottom of a deep sided non stick frying pan or skillet (roughly one cup) and heat on medium high. Once the oil begins to simmer, add the steaks, two at a time for even cooking, turn the heat down to medium and cook until golden on both sides, roughly 1.5 minutes per side.
- Remove the steaks and place on a clean parchment lined baking tray. Repeat for the two remaining steaks then place the tray in the oven for 10 minutes until the the steaks are cooked though, or to your liking.
- Serve with keto country gravy, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Naked WHEY 1LB 100% Grass Fed Unflavored Whey Protein Powder - US Farms, Only 1 Ingredient, Undenatured - No GMO, Soy or Gluten - No Preservatives - Promote Muscle Growth and Recovery - 15 Servings
Isopure Zero Carb Unflavored 25g Protein, 100% Whey Protein Isolate, Keto Friendly Protein Powder, No Added Colors/Flavors/Sweeteners, GMO Free, 1 Pound (Packaging May Vary)
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 steak
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 318Total Fat: 9.5gCarbohydrates: 2.4gNet Carbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0.4gProtein: 55.7g