Easy keto beef tacos made with homemade keto taco seasoning. No need to worry about preservatives or maltodextrin with this recipe. Ready in under 30 minutes!
Tacos aren’t subject to Tuesdays only in our house. We don’t discriminate on the type, day, or time of day to eat a taco. We are an Equal Taco Eating Opportunity family. Keto tacos are even better, in my opinion, than traditional tacos. You get to taste all the yummy meat and toppings without the tortilla filling you up!
Keto doesn’t make you sacrifice your favorite foods or restrict you from good food! You just have to learn how to make the yummy foods you’re accustomed to eating HEALTHIER–KETO-ER!
So, instead of grain based tortillas, most ketoers (that’s a real technical term) make cheese shells. You can make them on the stove-top or in the oven (less messy). They’re zero carb so load ’em up and enjoy a keto margarita along with it!
I hate all the junk that comes in the taco seasoning packets which is why I came up with my own blend. Pre-packaged seasoning blends typically have horrible additives like sugar, maltodextrin, and loads of preservatives. Often times they’re also so full of sodium that most of what you’re ingesting is salt.
Making your own taco seasoning is just as easy and way more cost effective. You could even triple or quadruple this recipe and keep it in a spice jar to have on hand.
If you do make a larger batch of the seasoning, just use about a tablespoon (or more depending on your preference) for each pound of meat. I’ve been making our family tacos this way for years (even pre-keto) and they’ve always been just perfect!
These keto tacos are the perfect base for all of your favorite Mexican dishes! You can use the ground beef in more than just tacos too! You could make enchiladas, quesadillas, stuffed peppers, or even breakfast burritos. The possibilities are endless!
Serve your tacos with a side of Mexican Cauliflower Rice for a complete meal!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 5 ounces diced onion
- 1/3 cup water
Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Over MED HIGH heat, brown the ground beef. Break into small pieces with a wooden spoon as you cook.
- When meat is just barely pink, add in the onions and cook until al beef is browned and onions are translucent.
- Add all the spices to the meat and onions and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add water, reduce heat to low, and let the meat simmer for about 10 minutes. This is a good time to make your cheese shells.
- To make the cheese shells, place 1/4 cups of shredded cheese in a flat circle in a nonstick skillet over MED heat.
- Do not touch or move until the edges are crisp and the center is very bubbly.
- Carefully remove the shell from the skillet and immediately drape over your tool of choice (knife on top of bowl, taco stand, etc.).
You can also make the cheese shells in the broiler by lining a baking sheet with parchment paper, placing the same amount of cheese in a flat circle, and broiling for 2-4 minutes. Follow same directions for cooling. You can also lower the carb count by replacing the raw onion with 1/2 tsp onion powder.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 258 Total Fat: 19g Carbohydrates: 4.5g Fiber: 1g Protein: 16.2g
All text and images Copyright Anna Hunley for Keto In Pearls. Shares are encouraged and appreciated. Please share this recipe by sharing a link, not a screenshot. Copy/pasting full recipe text to websites or social media is prohibited. You may share an excerpt and/or single photo, provided that full and clear credit is given to Keto In Pearls with a link back.