Fat head dough is all the rage in the keto world! Made predominantly with cheese, it really is the ultimate low carb “bread”. However, there are so many variations on the internet and Pinterest that choosing the right one can be daunting! After all, who wants to risk ruining their pizza?!?
I’ve tried several different methods (coconut flour, cream cheese) for making fat head dough and come up with, what I think, is the best one! I sent this recipe out to my subscribers as a special treat and the feedback has been so great that I knew this one needed it’s own post too!
This crust can be used for pizza, cheese sticks, bread sticks, savory pie crust, or whatever your keto heart desires! Tweak the seasoning to fit your dish! It’s the perfect basic low carb “dough”!
This recipe makes enough for 1 medium-ish sized pizza. It can feed my family of 4 (2 adults + 2 kids) without issue.
A few notes for easier baking:
- You MUST use parchment paper! Foil, greased cookie sheets, or anything else will not work! Trust me, I’ve learned the hard way!
- Mix the flour in well before adding the egg! You don’t want scrambled eggs in your pizza crust. Ew!
- Make sure your cheese is very melty and gooey before adding the flour or it won’t mix.
- Don’t forget to prick the crust with your fork or you’ll have one giant bubble.
- This goes without saying but, the bigger you roll out the dough, the thinner your dough will be!
Fat Head Pizza Dough
- 1.5 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 egg
- 1 Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 2 In microwave safe bowl, add mozzarella cheese. Heat in 30 second intervals until cheese is very melted and stretchy. Stir in-between each session.
- 3 Add almond flour and fold into cheese with wooden spoon. Incorporate completely.
- 4 Add egg and Italian seasoning. Continue incorporating with wooden spoon.
- 5 Flip the dough out onto the baking sheet. Dampen your hands with water and knead the dough until it is uniform in color. Add more water to your hands as needed. You may also knead it between 2 pieces of parchment paper.
- 6 Roll out to desired consistency. Prick holes all over the top with a fork.
- 7 Bake 5-8 minutes. Remove from oven and add toppings. Place back in oven or broiler for 10 minutes until cheese is bubbly.
Be sure to pin this recipe to Pinterest and share with your low carb friends! And don’t forget to tag me (@keto_in_pearls) in your posts if you make any of my recipes! I love seeing your recreations!