One of my absolute favorite comfort foods is broccoli cheese casserole. You know the one with the ritz crackers soaked in melted butter and melty processed cheese? Yeah, it’s pure junk but it tastes. so. good.
What’s your favorite holiday? Mine is Thanksgiving, obviously. I love the family time, the calm before Christmas, and of course, the FOOD! Gimme allllll the fixins, hold the turkey!
Side dishes are almost always my favorite! I love ordering vegetable plates at restaurants because you get a little taste of everything. I’d rather have a plate of veggies and casseroles than a big pile of meat. Except for steak. I make exceptions for a good filet.
I fixed this broccoli and cauliflower casserole to go alongside my Mississippi Pot Roast and it totally stole the show! My kids gobbled this up. Even my husband, who doesn’t like cheese on his broccoli (what’s up with that anyway), gave it the thumbs up!
You can fix this while your roast finishes in the instant pot (or crock-pot). The ingredients are simple. The recipe is easy to follow. And the whole dish is ready in thirty minutes! Perfect for a busy weeknight!
You could totally play with this recipe too. Swap the cauliflower for more broccoli (or vice versa). Add some carrots. Or one of my favoriteYou could also add a cup or two of cooked chicken and make this a full meal! (That’s what I did with the leftovers!)
- 12 oz broccoli
- 12 oz cauliflower
- 2 oz butter, softened
- 2 oz cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tsp dry ranch mix
- 2 tbsp water
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup crushed pork rinds + 1 oz melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Steam the broccoli and cauliflower until tender-crisp. If using frozen vegetables, steam in the microwave for just under the recommended time on the package.
- Drain all water from vegetables and set them aside.
- Melt butter in a nonstick skillet over MED LOW heat.
- Add heavy cream. Let it warm up in the butter for 1-2 minutes.
- When the cream begins to bubble, add cream cheese and whisk continuously until melted.
- Add cheddar cheese, ranch mix, and salt, and whisk until completely melted.
- Add water to thin out the sauce.
- Put broccoli and cauliflower into an 8×8 square baking dish. Pour cheese sauce over top of vegetables. Give a light toss to coat all of the vegetables.
- Mix crushed pork rinds with melted butter. Sprinkle over top of casserole.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until golden and bubbly. Let rest 5-10 minutes before serving.