Are you a bagel fanatic? Do you miss the chewy, soft, slathered in cream cheese goodness that can only be found in a bagel?
Yeah, I did too. And hey, just because we’re keto now doesn’t mean we can’t drool over good food. All we have to do is find ways to replicate those delectable tastes.
And friends, that’s what I’ve done with this bagel recipe! There are a bunch of fat head bagel recipes floating out there on the interwebs. Some are alright, some aren’t. You know how it goes.
And in true Anna fashion, I couldn’t just leave it alone. I had to play and tweak until I found a recipe that was truly bagel like.
One thing I don’t like about alot of fat head recipes is that they use cream cheese. To me, its unnecessary and just adds extra calories. And the popular bagel recipes fall into this category.
If you’re not familiar with “fat head” dough, it’s a cheese based dough. Folks use it for all kinds of recipes where typical bread dough would be needed. I have a recipe for MY version here.
You can make these bagels sweet or savory! You’ve heard me talk about Trader Joe’s Everything But The Bagel Seasoning before. Obviously, the name says it all. You can also mix a little Sukrin Gold brown sugar alternative with cinnamon and coat the top and bottoms of the bagels. That’s my favorite way to make these! Add the brown sugar cinnamon butter (included in the recipe) and you’ll have a very keto sweet morning!
To make sure the seasonings stay on the bagels and don’t end up coating the pan, dab a little water on the tops of the bagels before putting on your toppings!
Sweet n' Savory Keto Bagels
Chewy low carb bagels without added cream cheese!
- 1.5 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp butter, softened
- 3 tbsp Sukrin Gold brown sugar substitute
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- 2 Microwave mozzarella in 30 second intervals until very melty and stretchy.
- 3 Add almond flour, baking powder, xanthan gum, and salt. Mix with wooden spoon until completely combined.
- 4 Add egg and incorporate completely into mixture.
- 5 Using wet hands, knead dough together until it’s uniform in color. There should not be yellow or white parts.
- 6 Turn dough out on to parchment paper and knead into ball. The more you knead the dough, the easier it will be to roll out.
- 7 Cut into 4 equal parts. Roll each piece into a log. Wrap in an O shape and pinch ends together.
- 8 Bake for 15 minutes until tops are golden brown. Let rest 5-10 minutes before slicing.
- 9 To make optional sweet butter: combine butter, Sukrin Gold, and cinnamon in a bowl. Spread on cooled bagel.
If you'd like to top bagels with seasonings (such as brown sugar & cinnamon or Trader Joe's Everything But the Bagel Seasoning), dab a little water on top of bagels (before cooking) to make sure toppings adhere to the dough.
Please note that macros were calculated using My Fitness Pal and the brands referenced. Altering ingredients or brands can change the macros for the recipe. Please verify your macros in a tracker to insure accuracy.
All text and images Copyright Anna Hunley for Keto In Pearls. Shares are encouraged and appreciated. Please share this recipe by sharing a link, not a screenshot.
Copy/pasting full recipe text to websites or social media is prohibited. You may share an excerpt and/or single photo, provided that full and clear credit is given to Keto In Pearls with a link back.