Who had a love affair with crescent rolls pre keto? I did! I loved all of the fun recipes you could make using that canned dough. One of my favorite breakfast items used to be sausage and cream cheese crescents. They were so simple but oh so satisfying!
One day, I was mourning the loss of that beloved breakfast food and it dawned on me to use fat head dough! Did you know that fat head doughs can replace crescent roll dough AND you don’t have to deal with the heart attack that comes from popping the can? Plus, these are only 2 carbs per serving versus the one hundred million that are in the traditional kind.
This recipe is a meal prepper’s dream because they reheat perfectly. You can store them in the fridge and they’ll keep fresh all week. But if you’re impatient like me and want to eat them right away, I can’t say I blame you!
Other breakfast recipes you may like:
If you’ve never made fat head dough before, the key is to knead it until it is uniform in color. I usually squish mine together between two pieces of parchment paper until it’s doughy. Then I get my hands just a little wet and knead it into a ball. You also HAVE to bake it on parchment paper (not wax paper) so it doesn’t burn and stick to the baking sheet.
Sausage & Cream Cheese Breakfast Squares
- 1.5 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1 lb sausage
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Prepare fat head dough by melting mozzarella cheese in microwave in 30 second intervals until very stretchy.
- Add almond flour and baking powder and use a wooden spoon to mix into the melted cheese.
- Crack egg into mixture and continue stirring with spoon until completely combined.
- Turn the dough onto a piece of parchment paper and knead with your hands until it is uniform in color. There should not be white or yellow bits.
- Divide dough into 2 equal parts. Roll each piece out into rectangles of similar size.
- Place one rectangle on the baking sheet. Bake 8 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Cook sausage in a skillet over MED-HIGH heat. Crumble with wooden spoon as it’s cooking. Remove from heat and drain grease.
- Add cream cheese to sausage and stir until it is melted and the mixture is creamy. You may put the skillet back on the stove over low heat if needed.
- Spread the sausage mixture on top of the baked layer of dough.
- Add top layer of dough. Pinch edges together to seal. Poke holes in the top layer of dough to let steam escape.
- Bake 8-10 minutes until top is golden brown. Let cool 5 minutes before cutting.
Please note that macros were calculated using My Fitness Pal and the brands referenced. Altering ingredients or brands can change the macros for the recipe. Please verify your macros in a tracker to insure accuracy.
All text and images Copyright Anna Hunley for Keto In Pearls. Shares are encouraged and appreciated. Please share this recipe by sharing a link, not a screenshot.
Copy/pasting full recipe text to websites or social media is prohibited. You may share an excerpt and/or single photo, provided that full and clear credit is given to Keto In Pearls with a link back.
Friday 19th of July 2019
I loved this because it's so tasty and easy to get a slice out of the freezer for breakfast. I will definitely keep these stocked up.
Tuesday 9th of July 2019
These are awesome!
Saturday 18th of May 2019
Looks so good! Do you think this could be made with coconut flour instead of almond?
Saturday 18th of May 2019
No, I'm sorry. Coconut flour is not an equivalent substitute.