In my world, chocolate is magical! I have had a love affair with chocolate since a young age. As much as I love my ketogenic lifestyle, it did not make me magically stop loving chocolate. I don’t crave sugar like I used to but I still want chocolate treats, specifically chocolate cupcakes.
So, what’s a girl to do? The answer is make Keto-friendly chocolate recipes! And that, friends, is where these sinfully delicious chocolate cupcakes come in! These cupcakes are moist, extra chocolate-y, and very easy to whip up! The coffee in this recipe doesn’t give these a mocha flavor but amplifies the chocolate flavor.
Serve it with my Whipped Chocolate Buttercream Frosting or my Chocolate Fudge Frosting (from my classic yellow cake recipe). You can use this recipe for a 9″ layer cake, cupcakes, and whatever else your heart desires! I opted for cupcakes because they’re fun and easy to pack in my sweet daughter’s lunch box!
A few notes about this recipe:
1. Make sure your coffee is STRONG! It will not make your cake taste like coffee but it will enhance the chocolate flavor tenfold. If you’re using a Keurig (does anyone brew coffee the old fashioned way anymore?), there’s normally a button that says “strong” that will let you brew it stronger than normal.
2. To keep the carb count low enough for keto and to make these a small treat, I divided the batter into 24 small cupcakes. If you want a full size cupcake, see note #3, and double the macros.
3. I used a medium sized cookie scoop to divide out my batter. 2 scoops were the larger cupcakes and 1 scoop was the smaller cupcake.
4. Use silicone cupcake liners for the best results!
The Best Sugar Free Chocolate Cupcakes
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup sweetener
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 oz strong coffee
- 1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2 In a mixer with whisk attachment, combine dry ingredients on low to whisk out lumps.
- 3 Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each.
- 4 Add butter, vanilla extract, and coffee, and whisk well.
- 5 Divide batter equally between 24 muffin liners. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean.