I have had a major sweet tooth lately. Give me all the cake, cookies, pies, candy. I don’t know what has gotten into me. Oh wait, I’m pregnant! Ha! Lucky for you, and me too, that sweet craving resulted in the most delicious cake!
When I was recipe testing for my Triple Berry Muffins, one attempt came out very cake-like. It wasn’t quite muffin-y but it also wasn’t cupcake-y. Highly technical stuff here. But it was on the right track to being cake so it got my wheels turning. What evolved out of that recipe fail was this buttery, dense, yellow cake.
If you miss regular ‘ol yellow cake with chocolate icing, then you’re going to LOOOOVE this recipe! It’s the perfect base for birthday cakes, cupcakes, mix-ins, etc. I know people hate the word, but, this cake is so moist! All of that butter guarantees this cake isn’t eggy or dry. It certainly doesn’t taste “healthy”. In fact, my 6 year old thought I’d made a boxed cake.
Best of all, there aren’t any special products in this recipe. You only need 6 basic ingredients to whip up this one up. Make it into a sheet cake with a 9×13 pan, cupcakes, or a layer cake. If you’re using this recipe as a birthday cake, double it and make a giant layer cake! OR you could make it in a bundt pan and use it for pound cake! I have used this recipe each way and let me just say, it never disappoints!
Oh, and the frosting…we haven’t even talked about the frosting yet! Remember the canned fudge frosting? Yeah, this is JUST like that! It’s thick, rich, and extremely chocolatey! And just like the cake, the ingredients are few and basic. This frosting is so good, I may or may not have eaten it with a spoon…
No matter the occasion, your family will love this timeless yellow cake with chocolate frosting!
Classic Yellow Cake with Chocolate Frosting
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 cup sweetener
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 8 tbsp butter, melted and cooled
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 2 oz cream cheese, softened
- 8 tbsp butter, softened
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup powdered sweetener
- 1/4 cup + 1 heaping tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease cake pan and set aside.
- 2 In stand mixer, or large bowl, mix almond flour, 1 cup sweetener, and baking powder to remove lumps.
- 3 On low speed, add eggs 1 at a time, mixing well after each. Add vanilla extract and mix.
- 4 Slowly add melted butter and continue mixing until well combined. Scrape bottom and sides of bowl and mix again, if necessary.
- 5 Bake for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- 6 Let cool for 10 minutes on wire rack before flipping out of pan. Allow to cool completely before adding frosting.
- 7 While cake is cooling, prepare the frosting by beating cream cheese and butter until fluffy.
- 8 Add powdered sweetener and cocoa powder and mix until well combined.
- 9 Add heavy cream and vanilla extract and mix until well combined.
- 10 Store unused frosting in an airtight container in refrigerator up to two weeks.
This recipe works well in a 9x13 inch pan, cupcakes, or bundt pan. Adjust cooking times accordingly.