Are you intimidated by cooking steaks? I used to be! I used to save steaks for restaurants because I was too worried I’d over cook them and end up with leather for dinner.
But I’m here to tell you that cooking steaks is SO easy! I always make my steaks the same way, even in the summer time, and they never disappoint! I like to pair them with some shrimp for a ZERO CARB surf and turf dinner!
Steaks are excellent for ketogenic diets because they’re naturally fatty and ZERO CARB. Some people shy away from steaks because “they’re too expensive” but if you watch your grocers, you can catch them on sale quite often!
If you compare the cost of a steak at home to a steak at a restaurant, the price difference will make you want to master this technique. I picked up 4 filet mignons (about 8-10oz each) at Costco for only $28. The last time my husband and I had date night, we ate a “fancy” steakhouse and my 6oz filet was $30 BEFORE side dishes and toppings (crab cake + Oscar style).
There isn’t anything “fancy” to them either. A good steak doesn’t need anything other salt, pepper, oil and butter. In another life, I would drown my steaks in A1 or Heinz 57 because I didn’t understand that a good cut of meat really has amazing flavor on it’s own. Why would I want to cover that up?!
This recipe (I feel silly calling it that because it’s really just about technique) can be used for any cut of steak. I prefer filets and ribeyes for the flavor and fat but you could do this with a sirloin too. The trick is to pay attention to the thickness of the steak, use a smoking hot pan, and let them rest!
As for the shrimp, they are seriously one of my favorite things to make. 5 minutes under a broiler and they’re done. The hardest part about cooking these is waiting till they’re cool enough to touch! Ha!
The finishing touch for your steak and shrimp will be the herb butter! It sounds fancy but it really isn’t. Prep it before you make your steaks, stick it back in the fridge, and pull it out when the steaks are done. It’s a restaurant trick that really kicks everything up a notch!
NOTE: macros are NOT included in this post because of varying cuts of meat, thicknesses, etc. Calculate your macros in a diet tracker such as KetoDietApp or My Fitness Pal.
Perfect Steaks with Shrimp and Herb Butter
Make restaurant quality steaks at home with this fool proof method!
- 2 8oz steaks (I used filets)
- 10-14 large shrimp (about 1/2 lb)
- 2 tbsp butter, softened
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh herbs, minced (I used rosemary, basil, and parsley)
- salt (Himalayan or coarse sea salt)
- avocado oil
- Step 1 Let steaks come to room temperature for 20 minutes before cooking.
- Step 2 Place cast iron skillet in oven and preheat broiler to 500 degrees. Remove pan from the oven once it has come to temperature.
- Step 3 Pour a couple of tbsp of avocado oil on a plate. On a separate plate, mix a couple tbsp of salt and pepper. Measurements don’t need to be exact and will vary depending on the size of the steaks used.
- Step 4 Roll the steaks in the oil and then crust all sides with the salt/pepper mixture. Set aside.
- Step 5 Mix butter with minced fresh herbs and garlic clove. Reserve about 1 tsp of herbs. Put butter in fridge until steaks are done.
- Step 6 Toss shrimp in leftover herbs and a little bit of oil.
- Step 7 For MEDIUM steaks: Add steaks directly to cast iron skillet and put in broiler. Cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Step 8 Add shrimp to skillet in even layer. Flip steaks and place back in oven for 4-5 minutes more.
- Step 9 Remove from heat and add herbed butter to tops of steak and shrimp. Let rest 10 minutes.
All text and images Copyright Anna Hunley for Keto In Pearls. Shares are encouraged and appreciated. Please share this recipe by sharing a link, not a screenshot.
Copy/pasting full recipe text to websites or social media is prohibited. You may share an excerpt and/or single photo, provided that full and clear credit is given to Keto In Pearls with a link back.