There’s no need to worry about lumpy, stinky, or bland mashed cauliflower anymore with the help of this tutorial. You’ll learn how to make the best mashed cauliflower recipe that’s creamy and buttery, ready in 15 minutes, with no cooking required!
How To Make Smooth and Creamy Mashed Cauliflower
Making mashed cauliflower smooth and creamy is possible with this easy tutorial. Plus, it doesn’t require any actual cooking! Using a fresh head of cauliflower, a microwave, and a food processor is all you need to make the best mashed cauliflower. Watch the video for a full tutorial.
First, start with a fresh head of cauliflower. Remove the leaves and core and then cut the head into stems and pieces. Steam in the microwave the pieces until fork tender. Then finish by pureeing everything in a food processor until the desired consistency is reached. All in all, this mashed cauliflower recipe should take 10 to 15 minutes to complete.
Can Frozen Cauliflower or Cauliflower Rice Be Used Instead
After experimenting with frozen cauliflower and cauliflower rice, I find that the best tasting and smoothest dish is made with fresh cauliflower. Frozen cauliflower florets are often too watery and you don’t get the stems, which are actually creamier than the florets. Cauliflower rice, surprisingly, does not get as smooth as fresh or frozen cauliflower. While you can use both, fresh is recommended.
Does This Cauliflower Mash Taste Like Cauliflower
Some people are averse to mashed cauliflower because they find it “stinky”. To those people I always say “you just haven’t made it right” because if you prepare it well, you’ll hardly know you’re eating cauliflower.
This cauliflower mash recipe is creamy, buttery, and well seasoned with salt, pepper, and garlic. Also, using fresh cauliflower (as mentioned above) helps reduce the “stickiness”. The cream cheese and half n half also help dilute the cauliflower’s presence.
This post may contain affiliate links. We earn a small commission through sales made using these links at no additional cost to you.
Can You Make This Mashed Cauliflower Recipe Without a Food Processor
A food processor is a kitchen appliance I recommend to all cooks. They are so versatile these days with the various attachments and blades. I use my food processor to shred cheese, make pancake batter, even make bread or pastry dough.
If you don’t have a food processor, I would recommend using an immersion blender. Since the cauliflower is steamed until very tender, an immersion blender can often blend it enough. However, it is not recommended to whisk by hand as your mash will be lumpy.
Can This Recipe Be Thickened
If you find your mashed cauliflower is too thin or watery, you may thicken it with extra cream cheese or by adding more steamed cauliflower. Of course, this will change the macros so they will need to be adjusted accordingly. If you need to thin it out, add half n half 1 tablespoon at a time.
The Best Mashed Cauliflower Recipe
- 1 head cauliflower about 2.5 pounds before trimming, 1 to 1.5 pounds after trimming
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 tablespoons butter softened
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese softened
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons half n half
- 1.25 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Prepare the cauliflower by pulling off the leaves and outer stems. (see video)
- Place the cauliflower head down so that the core is facing up. Carefully cut away at the core until the stems of the cauliflower are exposed.
- Working in a circular motion, cut the florets and stems off of the core.
- Place the cauliflower in a microwave safe bowl and add with the water. Cover the bowl with paper towels, saran wrap, a lid, or anything with a vent. Microwave for 5 to 7 minutes or until the cauliflower is easily pierced with a fork. Drain the water.
- Transfer the cauliflower to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse for 60 seconds until broken up and beginning to get smooth.
- Add everything to the food processor and pulse for 60-90 seconds. At this point the mash should be smooth and creamy.
- Transfer the mashed cauliflower to a bowl and serve hot.
Friday 19th of November 2021
Great receipe, taste and ease. One question can I make this a day ahead for thanksgiving?
Homemade Healthy Sloppy Joes (Keto) | Keto In Pearls
Tuesday 29th of June 2021
[…] cauliflower– this is my favorite way to serve it. Place a hearty serving of creamy mashed cauliflower in a shallow bowl and top with your sloppy joe mix. This combination cannot be […]
Friday 21st of May 2021
This is seriously the best side to have with everything - so rich and creamy! I make it once a week now and we have it for 2 days!
Tuesday 25th of May 2021
I'm so glad you've enjoyed it!
Gluten Free BBQ Cheddar Meatloaf | Keto In Pearls
Thursday 6th of May 2021
[…] The Best Mashed Cauliflower (not stinky) […]