Add some pizzaz to your keto lunches with this easy tuna fish recipe. Everything you love about a jalapeño popper is combined with healthy canned tuna for a fun twist on classic tuna salad. Complete with bacon bits, cheddar cheese, jalapeños, and cream cheese, this keto tuna is perfect for your next lunch!
What Does Jalapeño Popper Tuna Salad Taste Like
This recipe is a fun twist on classic tuna fish salad. Jalapeño popper tuna salad takes on all the things you love about a hot jalapeño popper in a quick and chilled tuna fish salad. Even though fresh jalapeños are used, this tuna salad recipe is not spicy. The cheddar cheese and bacon bits add a little extra pizazz to the tuna!
Why Should You Make This Tuna Fish Recipe
This tuna fish recipe is so simple and perfect for keto lunches. Here are a few reasons why you this jalapeño popper tuna fish recipe should be next on your menu for keto lunches:
- No cooking required
- Full of healthy fats keeps you satiated
- Budget friendly
- Easily sourced and fresh ingredients
Is This Tuna Fish Recipe Keto
Yes, this tuna fish recipe is perfect for a keto diet. Tuna is an excellent source of protein and the added ingredients like bacon, mayonnaise, and cheese add healthy fats. This tuna salad is delicious and satiating for anyone eating a keto diet.
What Kind of Mayonnaise Is Best For This Tuna Fish Recipe
Everyone seems to have a preferred mayonnaise they like to use. Any mayonnaise that has zero added sugar is a good option. If you can afford to purchase a mayonnaise that is soybean oil and canola oil free, I always suggest doing so. I like this avocado oil mayonnaise the best. You can also make homemade mayonnaise very easily. Here is a good tutorial for homemade mayo.
What Kind of Tuna Fish Is The Best
This recipe calls for canned tuna. Nowadays, many tunas also come in easier to open plastic packages. Either is fine. You want to be sure to get tuna packed in water and not oil. Also, whenever possible, wild caught tuna is best. It will have the lowest levels of mercury and other toxins than farm raised tuna. You can read more about farm raised seafood in this post and this post.
Different Ways To Eat This Jalapeño Popper Keto Tuna
Here are a few of my favorite vessels for dipping and snacking:
- Low carb bread such as Great Low Carb Bread Company, Sola, etc.
- Sliced radishes
- Celery sticks
- Carrot sticks (don’t even worry about those carbs, they’re carrots)
- Lettuce cups
- Low carb tortilla- wrap it up with some lettuce and tomato
- Trader Joe’s Crisp Bread (these little low carb “crackers” are worth the drive to your closest TJ’s)
- Cheese crisps or similar
- Crispy bacon strips
Other Ways To Enjoy This Tuna Fish Recipe
If you’re feeling a little extra snazzy and want to change up your tuna salad, try one of these options instead:
- Hollow out a jalapeño and serve your tuna fish like a traditional popper (but cold)
- Put your tuna salad in a small (6 or 7 inch) baking dish, top with extra cheddar cheese, and place under the broiler for a few minutes to heat it through
May Canned Chicken or Salmon Be Used Instead of Tuna
Yes, you may substitute canned chicken or canned salmon in place of the tuna fish. As with the salmon, make sure each is packed in water and not oil. If using canned salmon, follow the same advice of wild caught versus farm raised salmon.
- 5 ounces tuna, packed in water
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 jalapeno, deseeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon bacon crumbles
- 1 ounce shredded cheddar cheese
- Combine the cream cheese, mayo, and tuna in a small mixing bowl. Mix until well combined.
- Fold in the jalapeno, bacon, cheese, and onion powder.
- Serve immediately. Store leftovers in an airtight container up to 2 days in the fridge.
Try canned salmon or canned chicken in lieu of tuna!
This post may contain affiliate links. We earn a small commission off sales made through these links, at no additional cost to you.
Wild Planet Wild Albacore Tuna Six 5oz. Cans
ParmCrisps Party Size Everything Parmesan Cheese Crisps, Keto Gluten Free Snacks, 100% REAL Cheese Crisps, Oven Baked, Gluten Free, Sugar Free, Low Carb, High Protein, Keto-Friendly 9.5 oz (Pack of 2)
Sola Golden Wheat Bread – Low Carb, Low Calorie, Reduced Sugar, 5g Protein Per Slice – 14 OZ Loaf of Sandwich Bread (Pack of 3)
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 649Total Fat: 60.5gCarbohydrates: 6.9gNet Carbohydrates: 4.7gFiber: 2.2gProtein: 37.1g
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and is approximate.