Shaved brussel sprouts are sautéed until tender and caramelized with bacon and brown sugar erythritol. Even if you don’t like brussel sprouts, you’ll love these!
I have a confession: I hate brussel sprouts. And when I say hate, I mean I have a seriously strong disdain for those weird cabbage patch kid looking vegetables.
Side note: have you ever been to the Cabbage Patch Baby Hospital in Georgia? I went as a kid and it was magical! It’s still there and totally worth a road trip to take your kiddos when they’re small!
I’ve tried making brussel sprouts several times before because I know they’re the hip new vegetable. All the trendy new restaurants offer brussel sprouts now. The stinky boiled brussel sprouts our parents tried to force on us as kids are not the brussel sprouts of today.
Every time I eat brussel sprouts I think to myself “these would be better in a salad or as slaw”. So you know what, that’s kind of what I’ve done with this recipe! I based this recipe off of my favorite homemade baked bean recipe but I swapped all the beans for the brussel sprouts.
The important step in this recipe is cutting the brussel sprouts correctly. I cut off the ends then cut them in half. Lay the flat side down and thin thinly slice the halves. THEN, pull apart the brussel sprouts with your hands so that you get thin “strips” of sprouts. It’s a bit tedious but it makes a world of difference!
As someone who doesn’t like brussel sprouts, trust me when I say THESE. ARE. GOOD. Seriously, they don’t taste like brussel sprouts at all. Instead, you get a warm, sweet, and bacon-y side dish to accompany all of your favorite keto meals.
This is the sugar free maple syrup that I use in all of my recipes! 1 net carb per serving and no artificial sweeteners!
You can save 10% off your order with my code “ketoinpearls”
Shaved Brussel Sprouts with Bacon and Brown Sugar
Sautéed brussel sprouts with bacon and brown sugar
- 1 lb brussel sprouts
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 2.5 oz onion, diced
- 4 slices bacon, finely diced
- 2 tbsp sugar free maple syrup
- 1/2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp brown sugar substitute
- 1/4 cup water
- pinch of salt
- 1 Prepare the brussel sprouts by cutting off the ends. Cut the sprout in half lengthwise. Lay the sprout flat side down and thinly slice each half. Use your hands to pull apart the sprout into thin “strips”. Set aside.
- 2 In a skillet over MED heat, add the avocado oil. Sauté the onions and bacon until soft and fragrant. The fat should be rendering from the bacon. Do not over cook the bacon. It should still be chewy.
- 3 Add the brussel sprouts and sauce until tender.
- 4 Add sugar free maple syrup, red wine vinegar, brown sugar substitute, salt, and water to the skillet. Reduce the heat to LOW and let the mixture simmer until the sauce is reduced and there is no more liquid in the pan. This should take several minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent burning.