There are many ways to use cauliflower rice in lieu of grains for keto, paleo, and Whole30 recipes. This blog post is going to teach you how to make a nutrient dense keto stir fry with cauliflower rice. This keto stir fry recipe is only takes 15 minutes to whip up and is completely customizable to your family’s preferences.
What You’ll Love About This Keto Stir Fry Recipe
This easy keto stir fry is sure to be a new family favorite. This nutrient dense, low calorie, low fat, and clean cauliflower fried rice recipe is also:
- Ready in 15 minutes
- Customizable to your family’s preferences- Don’t like water chestnuts? No problem!
- Clean, healthy, and guilt free
- Dairy free- just omit the butter!
- Perfect side dish for all of your favorite keto Asian dishes (see links below for suggestions)
- No soggy cauliflower rice
- Kid friendly
How To Make The Perfect Cauliflower Fried Rice
There are a few simple things you can do in your kitchen to make the best cauliflower fried rice. The type of cauliflower rice, skillet, and oils you use make a difference. Here are my suggestions:
- Start with a large skillet or wok. Stainless steel or cast iron are my favorites because they conduct heat the best. These are my favorite stainless skillets and these are my favorite cast iron pans.
- Use an oil that can withstand a high heat. Sesame oil is ideal because it adds an element of flavor that is common in Asian cooking but if you don’t have anything, use avocado oil for its high smoke point. Olive, canola, rapeseed, or any other similar oil is not recommended.
- Don’t use frozen cauliflower rice. The water from frozen cauliflower rice will steam the rest of your stir fry resulting in a soggy dish. Fresh cauliflower rice or thawed frozen cauliflower rice is your best bet! If you only have frozen cauliflower rice, thaw it in the microwave for 2-3 minutes before cooking. It will make a world of difference.
- Don’t overcook the rice. The more you cook it, the softer and mushier it will become.
What Does Keto Stir Fry Taste Like?
This keto stir fry tastes just like your favorite fried rice from the take out restaurant. The cauliflower rice will have a nice bite to it, not soggy or crunchy. The garlic, onion, sesame oil, and soy sauce is absorbed by the cauliflower so you loose the “stinky” cauliflower taste and are left with a flavorful low carb cauliflower fried rice.
What Can You Serve With Cauliflower Stir Fry?
The possibilities are really endless when it comes to serving your low carb stir fry. You can add any vegetables or proteins that you like to make this a one skillet meal too! Here are some of my favorite dishes to serve alongside this recipe:
- Weeknight Teriyaki Salmon
- Take-Out Style Low Carb Beef and Broccoli
- Low Carb Orange Ginger Beef Stir Fry
- Sugar Free Yum Yum Sauce
Why is Corn in This Recipe
Good question! I’m sure you’ve seen baby corn in your takeout boxes before but did you know it’s actually low carb? Baby (young) corn is corn that has been harvested before maturity, hence the baby/young name. While baby corn is technically a grain, overall it is has very low macros (and is fine to enjoy on your low carb and gluten free diet. Of course, like everything else, eat at your own discretion.
Other Ways To Make This Cauliflower Fried Rice
Adding vegetables like mushrooms, garlic, and asparagus are a great way to make your keto stir fry even more nutrient dense. You could also add proteins like chicken, pork, beef, salmon, or shrimp. You can also try this pork fried cauliflower rice recipe.
Keto Stir Fry
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon butter optional
- 2 garlic cloves minced or pressed
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- 16 ounces cauliflower rice
- 4 ounces mushrooms sliced
- 5 ounces water chestnuts drained
- 15 ounces young corn drained (optional, see note)
- 1 egg whisked
- 1/4 cup soy sauce or coconut aminos for gluten free, plus more to taste
- Add the sesame oil to a large skillet over medium high heat. Let it heat up until ripples begin to form or a splash of water sizzles off.
- Add the garlic and green onions to the skillet and saute 1 to 2 mintues until fragrant.
- Add the mushrooms, baby corn, and water chesnuts and saute 2 to 3 minutes until heated through amd mushrooms begin to soften and change color.
- Add the cauliflower rice and cook 3 to 4 minutes until tender crisp.
- Make a well in the rice and add the whisked egg. Scramble quickly and combine with the rest of the rice.
- Add the soy sauce and toss to coat. Add more to taste.