Brussel sprouts are roasted with bacon and a bbq glaze until crispy and caramelized. These bbq bacon brussel sprouts are sweet, salty, and crispy and so good that I bet you won’t be able to eat just one!
Roasted brussel sprouts are arguably one of the most popular side dishes as of late. For the longest time, you didn’t even see brussel sprouts on restaurant menus and now they’re the “cool” vegetable. Talk about about a glow up, right?
I make my crispy roasted brussel sprouts at least once a week but recently I decided to try and give them a little extra pizzaz by cooking them in a bbq glaze. The sauce caramelized the sprouts beautifully and really kicked them up a notch. It was the perfect sweet and salty combo on these roasted sprouts! These bbq bacon brussel sprouts are absolutely to die for and a great addition to any low carb meal.
What Do BBQ Bacon Brussel Sprouts Taste Like
These brussel sprouts are extra delicious because they are cooked with fresh bacon and coated in a bar-b-que glaze. The rendered fat from the bacon and the bbq sauce caramelize the brussel sprouts while they roast in the oven. The result is a crispy brussel sprout with bacon that is tender, sweet, and salty. I promise you won’t be able to eat just one!
How To Roast Brussel Sprouts with Bacon
Roasting brussel sprouts in the oven is really simple. In this recipe, we will use a sheet pan, parchment paper for easy clean up (foil works too), and a high cooking temperature (400 degrees) that will give the sprouts a nice crunch on the outside. Making sure all of the brussel sprouts are laying cut side down will also help those outsides get nice and caramelized.
If you like extra crispy brussel sprouts, try putting your sheet pan on the lowest rack in your oven. Sometimes I’ll finish mine off under the broiler for a minute or two also!
What Kind of BBQ Sauce Can Be Used For This Recipe
To keep this recipe keto friendly and free of refined sugar, we use sugar free bbq sauce. Any sugar free sauce will do so use what you prefer. Personally, I love using G.Hughes, Sweet Baby Rays, and Kinder’s in my kitchen.
Can Frozen Brussel Sprouts Be Used
It is not recommended to use frozen brussel sprouts in this recipe because of the amount of liquid (water) they will release while cooking. This will leave you with soggy sprouts that are swimming in liquid. Ick!
Where Do The Carbs Come From In This Recipe
If you peeked at the recipe card nutrition info before reading the blog post, you may be wondering where the carbs come from in these brussel sprouts since it is dairy free. There are “hidden” carbs in virtually everything but not all carbs are bad.
In this recipe, the carbs come from the brussel sprouts, bbq sauce, and Italian dressing. The bulk of the carbs come from the brussel sprouts. Per the USDA Food Data Central, brussel sprouts have 8 carbs per 1 cup. Read this blog post for more information about carbs in vegetables.
Of course, macros will vary by brand so for the most accurate nutrition information, calculate the macros in a nutrition app (like My Fitness Pal or Keto Diet App) given the specific brands you use.
Substitutions For This Recipe
- BBQ Sauce– please see section above regarding sugar free bbq sauce options.
- Italian dressing– instead of using plain oil to coat the brussel sprouts, Italian dressing is used to add spice and tang as well as provide the oil. I like to use Newman’s Own Family Italian dressing (linked within the recipe card below). You can use whichever dressing you prefer so long as it is not a sweet dressing. Adjust macros accordingly.
Roasted BBQ Bacon Brussel Sprouts
- 1 pound brussel sprouts cut in half
- 2 slices bacon cut in 1" pieces
- 1/3 cup sugar free bbq sauce
- 1/4 cup Italian dressing
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, whisk the bbq sauce, italian dressing, and salt. Remove 1-2 tablespoons of the sauce to reserve for after cookng.
- Toss the brussel sprouts and bacon in the sauce making sure everything is evenly coated.
- Transfer the sprouts to the baking sheet. Lay the sprouts on the baking sheet cut side down.
- Roast in the oven for 20 minutes, flip or toss the brussel sprouts, and roast another 20 to 25 minutes until crisp.
- Remove the sprouts from the oven and transfer to a serving bowl. Add the reserved glaze to the sprouts and toss to coat.
- Serve immediately.
Keto Chicken Drumsticks (In Oven or On the Grill) | Keto In Pearls
Tuesday 30th of March 2021
[…] BBQ Brussel Sprouts or BBQ Brussel Sprouts […]