Who doesn’t love a basket of popcorn shrimp? This popcorn shrimp recipe is low carb, gluten free, and keto friendly. Made with clean ingredients, keto bread crumbs, and wild caught shrimp. Bake in the oven, pop in the air fryer, or fry in a skillet all in under 20 minutes.
What are Popcorn Shrimp?
It’s a funny name but popcorn shrimp are just small shrimp that are breaded and (usually) fried. These gluten free fried shrimp are a low carb version that are baked in the oven.
What do Low Carb Fried Shrimp Taste Like?
This popcorn shrimp recipe is salty, crunchy, and scrumptious! Old Bay seasoning is used to season gluten free bread crumbs for a classic coastal flavor.
What Ingredients are Used in this Keto Shrimp Recipe?
This recipe only uses 5 ingredients: wild caught shrimp, egg, half n half, gluten free bread crumbs, and Old Bay seasoning.
What is Old Bay Seasoning and is it Clean?
Iconic for its yellow tin can, Old Bay seasoning is one of the most common seasonings used in American seafood. While not organic, it is clean. Old Bay is comprised of celery salt, spices (including red pepper and black pepper), and paprika. It does not contain maltodextrin, sugar, or other yucky ingredients.
Are there Carbs in Old Bay Seasoning?
No, Old Bay seasoning is 0 carbs. It is suitable for keto, gluten free, Paleo, and Whole30 lifestyles.
What Kind of Shrimp are Best for this Recipe?
It is best to purchase large wild caught shrimp with the tails on for these low carb fried shrimp. The shrimp will shrink when cooked so a large sized raw shrimp yields the perfect sized popcorn shrimp!
How To Cook These Gluten Free Popcorn Shrimp
This gluten free popcorn shrimp recipe may be made in the oven, air fryer, or fried in a skillet. The easiest method is baking in the oven.
- Oven– 475 degrees for 12 minutes
- Air Fryer– 400 degrees for 5 minutes
- Skillet– nonstick over medium heat with 2 tablespoons of oil, 2 minutes per side. Similar to these fried salmon patties.
Dipping Options for these Popcorn Shrimp
Don’t forget the condiments! Try one of these dips with your low carb popcorn shrimp:
- 1.5 pounds large wild caught shrimp
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons half & half
- 1 batch gluten free bread crumbs
- 3 teaspoons old bay seasoning
- Preaheat oven to 475 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place a baking rack on top.
- Prepare a breading station. In a shallow bowl, like a pie plate, mix the beaten egg with the half n half. In a sepearte shallow bowl, mix the bread crumbs and the old bay seasoning.
- Dredge the shrimp throught the egg mixture until it is well coated.
- Transfer the shrimp to the breading mixture and coat thoroughly. Use your hands, a fork, or tongs to make sure the shrimp are well coated. Work in batches until all shrimp are breaded.
- Place the breaded shrimp on the baking sheet. Bake for 6 minutes, flip, and cook 6 minutes longer. (You can skip the flip but the underside may be slightly less crunchy)
- Remove from oven. Let cool 1 minute before transferring to a serving dish.
Alternative cooking methods:
Air fryer: 400 degrees for 5 minutes (refer to manfuacture guides for your device)
Skillet: nonstick, medium heat, 2 tablespoons oil, 2 minutes per side
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 348Total Fat: 17.3gCarbohydrates: 6.7gNet Carbohydrates: 3.5gFiber: 3.2gProtein: 41.8g