Shortly after adopting a ketogenic lifestyle I realized my love affair with Chinese food was over. If I wanted the relationship to continue, I was going to have to figure out how to make keto Chinese food. And that is what I did, friends. This orange ginger keto beef stir fry is better than takeout!
This post may contain affiliate links. Purchasing an item through an affiliate link costs you nothing extra but helps support the blog so we can continue bringing you delicious content for free!
keto chinese food
What is your go-to Chinese food order? When I was a kid, my mom would always order a bunch of different dishes and we’d each eat a little bit of this and a little bit of that.
When I married my husband, he was not privy to this Chinese food habit of mine. So when he saw how much I ordered us, and then I proceeded to take some of his meal, his eyes got real big!
It was one of those early marriage learning lesson moments! Haha!
Obviously, we don’t order Chinese food anymore now that we follow a ketogenic diet. Sad face.
I really wish a keto Chinese food restaurant would open but that probably won’t ever happen unless I do it myself. Hmm…new biz opportunity?
When we get a hankering for keto Chinese food, it’s up to me to make it happen. (I’m the only cook in the family)
I actually have several other keto take-out recipes on the blog! Have you tried any of them yet? (Spoiler: I have even more coming in my cookbook!)
More Keto Take-Out Recipes
make your own keto beef stir fry
This low carb take-out recipe is crazy easy! The hardest part is waiting for it to marinate in the fridge before you get to cookin’.
The marinade and sauce are sweet with fresh notes of garlic and ginger. There’s no need to buy a jar of marinade when you can make your own.
Theoretically, you could make this keto beef stir fry in one skillet if you really wanted to! Personally, I like to make the sauce in it’s own sauce pan to maintain the integrity of the flavors but you’re the master of your kitchen!
If you have a wok, this would be the perfect dish to use it! I actually don’t own a wok, crazy right? It might be time to change that!
Once you’ve marinated your meat and prepped your veggies, this keto beef stir fry cooks up really quickly! I like to use avocado oil to fry my beef but by all means, use whichever oil (that has a high smoke point) you prefer.
complete the meal
This low carb orange ginger beef stir fry pairs really well with a simple fried cauliflower rice. Or for a different kind of side, you could make my famous keto lo mein!
You could also do a veggie stir fry to go along with this keto beef stir fry. I like to cook zucchini, mushrooms, and onions whenever I’m stir frying vegetables.
Low Carb Orange Ginger Beef Stir Fry
- 1/2 cup coconut aminos or soy sauce if not GF
- 4 heaping teaspoons dijon mustard
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar substitute
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- 2 pounds stir fry beef
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or any oil for shooting purposes
- 1 green onion thinly sliced (plus more for garnish)
- 1 large red bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 cup water
- Mix the first 5 ingredients in a large measuring cup.
- Pour half the marinade into a large ziplock bag with the beef. Seal and refrigerate at least 3 hours. Reserve remaining marinade for the sauce.
- Fry the beef in a hot skillet with the oil, working in batches to prevent crowding, about 3 to 4 minutes per batch. Remove the cooked beef to a plate and set aside.
- Cook the peppers in the same skillet for 2 to 3 minutes, or until tender crisp. Remove to plate with the beef.
- In a small sauce pan (not the same skillet), add the reserved marinade and water. Bring to a low boil, add the xanthan gum, and whisk until thickened, about 1 minute.
- Transfer the beef and peppers to a serving bowl. Pour sauce over the beef and toss to coat before serving.