A tangy and savory keto pot roast that is zero carbs! One secret ingredient sets this keto Mississippi pot roast over the top! Crock-pot and Instant Pot options!
M-i-crooked letter-crooked letter-i…did anyone else learn to spell Mississippi that way? I think it’s a southern thang. 😉 It doesn’t matter how old I am, I still sing that little song when I’m writing or typing “Mississippi”.
I don’t know where Mississippi pot roast originated but I assume it was from someone in the teddy bear state. (Did you know teddy bears were born in MS?) There are a bunch of variations of it on Pinterest but I adapted the classic version to be almost zero carbs but jam packed with flavor!
What’s my secret? I add the juice from the pepper jar! It amps up the flavor without compromising the macros! Oh, and the gravy?! Don’t mess with the carb heavy gravy packs. A little xanthan gum will give you the same results!
Bonus! You can make this in the Crock-Pot or Instant Pot! I’ve included both options in the recipe card below.
Sometimes I’ll add some veggies like carrots or radishes to the pot while the roast cooks. Radishes are an excellent replacement for potatoes. Carrots are a little higher in carbs but let’s be honest, no one gets overweight from eating carrots! If you choose to add veggies to your roast, be sure to re-calculate the macros in a fitness app.
Serve this with my Cheesy Ranch Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole or Quick Cauliflower Mash for a comforting Sunday supper!
- 2.5 pound chuck roast
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 packet dry ranch mix
- 6 pepperoncini peppers + 1/4 cup juice
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- Place the roast inside the pot. Add the broth and pepper juice.
- Sprinkle the ranch mix on top of the roast.
- Add the peppers to the pot. Place the butter on top of the roast.
- Close the lid and seal the vent. Cook on HIGH pressure for 55 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally for 15 minutes then manually release pressure. Press cancel.
- Remove the roast and peppers from the pot and place on a platter. Shred the roast with two forks.
- Reserve 2 cups of the juices and discard the remainder. Turn the pot to sauté mode. When the mixture comes to a low boil, add the xanthan gum and whisk until a gravy is formed, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Serve the shredded roast with the gravy.
To make in the crock-pot: follow steps 1 through 3. Cook on low for 8 hours. Reserve 2 cups of the juices for the gravy. Transfer to a sauce pan. Over high heat, bring the juices to a low boil. Add the xanthan gum and whisk until a gravy is formed, about 1 to 2 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 493Total Fat: 40.7gCarbohydrates: 0.7gFiber: 0gProtein: 26.7g