My low carb Mexican lasagna is a creamy, cheesy 30 minute meal and a great way to repurpose leftover chicken. Serve with a side salad and Mexican cauliflower rice for a super filling keto friendly supper. Make it head of time, freeze for later, or deliver to a friend in need. No matter how you slice it, this low carb Mexican casserole is sure to be a family favorite!
I cannot believe that it has been nearly 3 years since I started Keto in Pearls. I had no idea what I was getting into much less what I was actually doing!
The things we learn over time, right?
This keto and low carb Mexican lasagna was one of the very first recipes I ever posted to my [then] little website. As I’ve been going through my old posts and updating the photos and information, I knew this recipe deserved a facelift too.
Even though it’s been buried down in the archives, now is the perfect time to clean it up and make it shine.
I mean, who doesn’t love a [low carb] Mexican casserole?
This recipe is insanely simple but a total winner for the whole family! And who doesn’t need both of things these days, right?
Pull up your grocery app, y’all, because you’re going to want to add these ingredients to your cart for your next grocery order!
You’re Whole Family Will Love This Low Carb Mexican Lasagna
And here’s why:
- Easy halfway homemade meal
- Ready in just 30 minutes
- Ideal for meal prepping, freezer meals, or dropping off to a friend in need
- Kids love it
- Great way to use leftover chicken to eliminate food waste
- Hearty and filling
Making Your Own Keto Mexican Casserole
Halfway homemade recipes, like this low carb Mexican lasagna, are near and dear to my heart.
This recipe is no exception. Any meal that only requires 1 bowl to prep is a winner in my book.
If you have leftover chicken in the fridge or need to use your freezer stash (that’s me these days), this Keto Mexican casserole is just the way to use it up!
Of course, if you don’t have cooked chicken on hand, you can still make this yummy meal. Scroll down to the ingredients and substitutions section for more info.
While your casserole is baking, you can fix a lite salad or Mexican cauliflower rice to serve alongside your low carb Mexican lasagna.
Ingredients and Substitutions
Don’t have cooked chicken? The store is out of green enchilada sauce? Here’s a list of substitutions so you can still enjoy this recipe:
- Pre-cooked chicken: if you don’t have cooked chicken on hand, you may use store-bought cooked chicken from the freezer section, rotisserie chicken, or canned chicken. If you have uncooked chicken breasts on hand, simple boil them for 20 minutes in water or broth (or use your instant pot) before preparing the casserole.
- Green enchilada sauce: red enchilada sauce works just as well but will yield a slightly different flavor.
- Low carb tortillas: There are many brands of low carb tortillas available for purchase at grocery stores. Any kind will do but suggest trying to find one with the lowest carb count. I use Mission Low Carb Tortillas at 4 net carbs each for purposes of my recipes. If you are gluten free, replace with homemade keto tortillas, thinly sliced zucchini, or even my keto egg noodles.
Here Are Some More Low Carb Mexican Recipes That You’re Sure To Love:
- Chipotle Lime Coleslaw Perfect to serve as a side with your Mexican lasagna!
- Adobo Chicken Use this chicken for tacos and then make this casserole with the leftovers!
- Keto Crockpot Chicken Tacos A delicious Mexican shredded chicken to use in your lasagna!
- Fresas con Crema Don’t forget about dessert! This one is a great way to use up your summer strawberries!
Low Carb Mexican Lasagna
- 1.5 lbs chicken breasts cooked and cooled
- 2.5 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 oz chopped green chiles
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 10 oz mild green enchilada sauce
- 6 low carb tortillas I use Mission brand
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Use a mixer to combine cream cheese and spices.
- Fold in shredded chicken, green chiles, and 1.5 cups of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Pour a little bit of the enchilada sauce on the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish.
- Lay 2 tortillas down, overlapping if necessary.
- Spread 1/3 cup of the chicken mixture on top of the tortillas.
- Add 1/3 cup of the enchilada sauce on top of the chicken.
- Repeat layers 2 more times. Use remaining cup of cheddar cheese for top of dish.
- Bake for 20 minutes until heated through and cheese is bubbly.