This easy keto cheesecake recipe is perfect for a Valentine’s Day treat! Sweet and fruity strawberry cheesecake sits on a dark chocolate crust and is topped with a sugar free dark chocolate ganache. Skip the box of sugary chocolate covered strawberries and try this low carb cheesecake instead!
What Does Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cheesecake Taste Like
This low carb cheesecake tastes like a decadent chocolate covered strawberry. The cheesecake sits on top of a dark chocolate cookie style crust made with almond flour, butter, and melted sugar free chocolate chips. The keto strawberry cheesecake filling is sweet and fruity due to the use of freeze dried strawberries and monkfruit. The chocolate ganache on top of the cheesecake completes these mini low carb cheesecakes just like a fine chocolate covered strawberry!
Are Strawberries Keto Friendly
Yes, strawberries are keto friendly. The berry family (strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries) are all the lowest carb fruit options you have when following a ketogenic diet, falling around 6 net carbs per 100 grams per the USDA.
Since fruit is high in fructose (glucose), we need to limit the amount of fruit we eat in order to stay in ketosis. Remember that ketosis is a metabolic state in which the body burns fat for energy instead of glucose. If we give our bodies too much glucose, we may not stay in ketosis. Everyone’s body has a different threshold for how much glucose they can withstand and maintain ketosis.
So when it comes to strawberries, even freeze dried strawberries like in this recipe, enjoy them guilt free while being mindful of your carb intake for the remainder of the day!
Why Are Freeze Dried Strawberries Used Instead of Fresh
Freeze dried strawberries are used in this low carb cheesecake for a few reasons. First, fresh strawberries are only in season during a few months of the year. While you can buy strawberries year round, they are not as flavorful. Second, fresh strawberries release quite a bit of liquid when they cook which would alter the consistency of your baked goods. Third, freeze dried strawberries add beautiful pink color and fruity flavor completely naturally so we do not need to use extracts or food coloring.
Where Can You Buy Freeze Dried Strawberries
Unsweetened freeze dried fruit is very easy to source at grocery stores and online. Stores like Kroger, Publix, Trader Joes, or Whole Foods carry many different dried fruit options. These are often found in the snack aisle or in the same section as salad toppers (in my store that is near produce). I have also found them in the baby food sections. Of course, you can also find freeze fruit on Amazon as well but they may be a slightly hire price.
Can This Cheesecake Be Made In a Springform Pan
Yes, this recipe is adaptable for a springform pan if you would like to make one large cheesecake instead of mini low carb cheesecakes. Prepare the crust and filling as indicated in the recipe card below. Line the bottom of a springform pan with parchment paper. Press the crust onto the bottom in an even layer and bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes. Reduce the oven to 300 degrees. Add the cheesecake filling to the springform pan. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes until the cheesecake is set but the center is jiggly. Allow the cheesecake to cool on the counter for 10 to 15 minutes and then chill in the fridge for a minimum of 3 hours.
What Kind of Chocolate Chips Are Best For This Keto Cheesecake Recipe
My favorite sugar free chocolate chips to work with are ChocZero’s. They are sweetened with monkfruit and only 1 net carb per serving. They melt into a smooth and rich chocolate and do not have any bitter aftertaste. See more recipes that use ChocZero chocolate chips here.
Save 10% off your ChocZero order by using (affiliate) code KETOINPEARLS
Can Leftover Cheesecakes Be Frozen for Later
Yes, any cheesecakes leftover may be frozen for up to 3 months in an airtight bag or container. To enjoy one of your keto strawberry cheesecakes at a later time, allow the cheesecake to thaw in the refrigerator for a few hours before eating. Do not microwave the frozen cheesecake to avoid melting.
For the Crust:
- 1.5 cups almond flour
- 1 tablespoon monkfruit
- 1/2 cup sugar free dark chocolate chips
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
For the Cheesecake:
- 16 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup monkfruit
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 2 ounces freeze dried strawberries
For the Ganache:
- 1/4 cup sugar free dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 tablespoons butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cupcake pan with liners or grease well.
- Put the chocolate chips and butter in a small bowl and microwave 30 seconds. Stir with a spoon until fully melted and smooth.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, mix the almond flour, monkfruit, and melted chocolate until it resembles melted sand.
- Evenly divide the crust into the cupcake liners and use the back of a spoon to press it down until it is packed tight.
- Bake the crust for 8 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool while you mix the filling.
- Reduce the oven to 300 degrees.
- In a stand mixer or large bowl with a hand mixer, beat cream cheese, sour cream, and monkfruit until fluffy, about 1 minute.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, mixing well after each.
- Crush the freeze dried strawberries in a small food processor until powdery. You could also put them in a small ziplock bag and use the back of a measuring cup to crush them up. Add the strawberry powder to the filling mixture and mix until combined.
- Distribute evenly between cupcake liners. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Let cool 10 minutes on counter and 3 hours in fridge before topping with the chocolate ganache.
- Prepare the chocolate ganache by melting the butter and chocolate chips in a microwave for 30 seconds and stirring until smooth. Use a spoon to drizzle the ganache on top of the cheesecakes. Let sit 5 minutes to firm up before serving.
Variations: try white chocolate chips in place of the dark chocolate chips for the ganache.
Affiliate links may be used in this recipe card. We earn a small commission off the purchase of these links at no additional cost to you.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 mini cheesecakes Serving Size: 1 cheesecake
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 322Total Fat: 28.6gCarbohydrates: 11.1gNet Carbohydrates: 6.5gFiber: 4.6gProtein: 7.2g
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and is approximate.