It’s almost Valentine’s Day! Do you have a keto friendly romatic meal picked out to make your loved one? If not, I have a basic but lovely tomato cream sauce that will guarantee all the heart eye emojis.
This tomato cream sauce rivals one of my favorites from Carrabba’s Italian Grill. It’s creamy, bursting with flavor, and of course, low carb. Many tomato cream sauces use wine or vodka in the recipe but I replicated the flavors of traditional recipes without those ingredients. This recipe contains zero sugar, zero wine, and zero vodka to keep the carb count down.
This sauce is so versatile, you can use it on just about anything, but here are a few ideas:
- Over zoodles with shrimp and fresh basil
- Baked with chicken breast and topped with mozzarella cheese
- Over shirataki (konjac) noodles with chicken or shrimp
- Smeared on a low carb wrap layered with sliced chicken or turkey, tomato, mozzarella, and onion for a keto panini.
- As the base for a low carb lasagna (using keto friendly noodles, of course).
*note: I added baby bella mushrooms to mine when I sauteed the onions and garlic but that is optional.
Keto Tomato Cream Sauce
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1.5 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup white onion, diced
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 drops lemon juice
- Step 1 Heat olive oil and butter in skillet over MED heat.
- Step 2 Add diced onion and garlic and sautè until soft and fragrant.
- Step 3 Add tomato sauce, heavy cream, and lemon juice. Stir until well combined.
- Step 4 Let simmer on LOW heat while you prep your other meal ingredients, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Step 5 Add parmesan cheese before serving.