Give your bacon and eggs a break and try these easy keto muffins instead! Bright and fresh, these keto lemon poppyseed muffins have everything you need to start your day. And at only 2.8 net carbs, you can even have two!
This recipe originally appeared on January 2, 2019.
One criticism I hear from people who are new to this way of eating is that keto breakfasts seem to rely mostly eggs and bacon.
I totally understand where those folks are coming from. If you browse social media hashtags, you’ll see a plethora of photos containing bacon and eggs.
While those foods are delicious and warmly welcomed, there are many other foods you can enjoy at your breakfast table, like these keto lemon poppyseed muffins!
Low carb muffins are a great choice for a keto breakfast because they keep you full and give you a burst of energy in the morning. Since these keto lemon poppyseed muffins aren’t full of sugar and grains, you don’t have to worry about still feeling hungry after eating them.
In fact, they’re a great option to send with your littles on their way to the bus stop. This high fat breakfast will stimulate their brain better than a bowl of cereal ever could!
You’re Going To Love These Keto Lemon Poppyseed Muffins
And here’s why:
- One bowl recipe
- Simple ingredients that are easily accessible at grocery stores
- Fresh and bright flavors that are iconic of classic lemon poppyseed muffins
- Moist muffins with a nice crumb (no eggy taste here)
- Only 2 net carbs per muffin
- Great for meal prepping or freezer stashing
- Kids will love them
- Great way to switch up your plate o’ bacon and eggs
Making Keto Lemon Poppyseed Muffins At Home
This low carb muffin recipe couldn’t be any easier to make. One bowl and one whisk is really all you need to prep these scrumptious keto lemon poppyseed muffins!
Here’s what you need:
- One large mixing bowl
- One whisk or hand mixer (preferred)
- Measuring cup
- Measuring spoons
- Muffin tin (6, 12 or 24 cup)
You simply need to combine everything together in your mixing bowl, pour into your muffin tin, and bake!
When mixing your batter, make sure to whisk it until the batter smooth and slightly runny. You want to whisk out all lumps for better baking. For best results, a hand mixer or stand mixer is recommended.
Serving and Storing Your Keto Lemon Poppyseed Muffins
Don’t be worried about eating all twelve muffins in one sitting! These easy keto muffins can easily be frozen and reheated. All you need to do is wrap them tightly in plastic wrap so they don’t get freezer burnt and store them in a big ziplock bag or storage container.
Pull one out as desired, pop into the microwave for about 30 seconds, and you have a delicious keto muffin ready to eat!
Whether you want breakfast, a snack, or afternoon coffee, these keto muffins are great any time of day.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Sour cream– I used sour cream in this recipe to keep the muffins moist and provide enough fat for a tasty muffin. Also, the tang of the sour cream works better with the tang of the lemons here. I would not advise replacing the sour cream with butter or you will end up with a more cake tasting muffin (not a bad thing but not what we’re trying to achieve). You could use mayonnaise in a pinch.
- Lemon juice– Fresh lemon juice or lemon extract are both fine in this recipe. When originally written, I used lemon extract and they turned out beautifully. When updating the recipe at a later date, I opted to use fresh lemon juice and zest for a fresher flavor but both will work. Just be aware that when you use lemon extract, you need significantly less because it is so much more concentrated.
- Sweeteners: you can use whichever brand of zero carb sweetener you prefer. Personally, I use this in all of my recipes and prefer it because there isn’t a cooling effect with every bite.
Want More Keto Muffin Recipes?
Here are few other easy keto muffin recipes you might want to check out:
Replace fresh lemon juice with 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract if desired. As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please calculate your own nutrition information for most accurate results.
Yield: 12 muffins
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 184Total Fat: 15.4gCarbohydrates: 4.9gNet Carbohydrates: 2.8gFiber: 2.1gProtein: 6.3g
Replace fresh lemon juice with 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please calculate your own nutrition information for most accurate results.