Classic carbonara pasta is transformed into a healthy, gluten free, and low carb pasta recipe. Parmesan cheese, peas, bacon, and browned butter adorn your choice of low carb noodles or zucchini noodles. This decadent keto carbonara will make you forget you’re eating healthy!
What is Carbonara
Carbonara pasta is a traditional Italian dish dating back to the 40s in Rome. It is a simple dish of spaghetti, pancetta, egg yolk, and cheese. While a very simple dish, it is incredibly rich and delicious!
What Does Keto Carbonara Taste Like
This keto carbonara is one step short of heaven! Don’t let the simple ingredients fool you, this carbonara pasta is luscious. The salty bacon, spicy garlic, creamy egg yolk, and savory parmesan encapsulate the noodles in the most decadent browned butter sauce. The sauce is mild enough for young eaters to enjoy but complex enough for a more mature palette.
What Kind of Noodles To Use
The most fabulous part about this keto carbonara is that it tastes equally as incredible with zucchini noodles as it does with a gluten free pasta (or traditional pasta). Of course, you could also use my highly rated egg noodles too. My family really enjoys this brand of organic gluten free pasta even though it is not within the range of keto macros, although it could be considered low carb (remember low carb usually is in the 50g-100g per day range). In the recipe card, I will tell you how to adapt the recipe for either noodle option!
Is it Safe to Eat Raw Egg Yolks
Have you ever gotten sick after licking the brownie batter off the spoon? Probably not. As long as you use high quality eggs, pasture raised are best, the risk of salmonella is extremely low. Current statistics from the CDC say that 1 in every 20,000 eggs contain salmonella. Many recipes, like hollandaise sauce, tiramisu, mousse, and smoothies use raw egg yolks. Raw egg yolks are rich in protein, omega 3 and 6, vitamins, and zinc. There’s a reason body builders drink raw eggs! However, if you’re too uncomfortable with using a raw egg yolk, feel free to omit it in this keto carbonara recipe.
How To Make This Carbonara Pasta
This recipe moves pretty quickly so it is important to have your mis en place (i.e. everything in it’s place). If you’re using zucchini noodles, this will be a one pot meal. If you’re using any noodle that needs to be boiled first, do that step first and reserve 1 cup of pasta water. In your skillet, you will sautÃ© garlic, bacon bits, and peas in butter before whisking in water and cheese. The egg yolk is mixed into the sauce last. Once the sauce is complete, you’ll toss your noodles in the skillet and incorporate them well. Garnish with fresh parsley (this is a must for authenticity) and bellissimo!
Ways To Serve This Keto Carbonara
This carbonara pasta is fantastic all by itself but here are few suggestions to elevate it even further:
- Simply seasoned grilled or pan cooked chicken
- SautÃ©ed shrimp
- Thinly sliced steak
Keto Carbonara Pasta Two Ways
- 16 ounces gluten free pasta or zucchini noodles will need 1 tablespoon oil
- 5 tablespoons butter softened
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup peas thawed, not frozen
- 1/2 cup bacon bits
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pinch pepper
- 1 cup parmesan cheese grated or shredded
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 to 1 cup water or pasta water if using boiled pasta
- fresh parsley for garnish
- For Zucchini Noodles
- In a large nonstick skillet, add 1 tablespoon of oil and sauté the zucchini noodles until they are tender but crisp. If using frozen zoodles, let them cook until all water is evaporated. Remove from the skillet and set aside while you prepare the sauce.
- If using pasta that requires boiling, cook according to package directions. Reserve one cup of pasta water before straining. Toss a little oil in the noodles to prevent sticking while you make the sauce.
- For the Sauce
- In your large nonstick skillet, melt 4 tablespoons of butter. Let the butter cook until it is slightly browned and very fragrant but do not let it burn, about 1 minute.
- Add the garlic and sauté 1 to 2 minutes. Add the peas and bacon and cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- While stirring, slowly add the pasta water. Add the salt and pepper. Let this simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the cheese and stir continuously until all the cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth, about 2 to 3 minutes. Shredded cheese may take longer.
- Turn off the heat. Add the egg yolks and stir quickly to combine without cooking.
- Add the noodles into the sauce and use tongs to toss well.
- Garnish with fresh minced parsley and serve hot.