A simple and comforting keto soup that can be made in the Instant Pot or Crock-Pot. You could even eat this for breakfast! Only 6 net carbs per serving.
One of my favorite winter meals before I adopted a low carb diet was a bowl of cheesy potato soup with crumbled up sausage balls. Oh my word, it was heavenly. If I close my eyes I can almost taste it now.
Sadly, it has been an incredibly long time since I’ve eaten that meal. I genuinely miss it. Partially because it was one of those suppers where literally no-one complained about eating. I know you know what I’m talking about.
However, the other day my little food blogger lightbulb went off in my head and I had the novel idea to recreate that meal into a low carb and keto friendly recipe.
Creamy Sausage Ball Soup is what happens when you marry potato soup and sausage balls. Of course, there aren’t actually potatoes in this recipe. Nor is there Bisquick (the cardinal ingredient of sausage balls).
Instead, I’ve used cauliflower to mock the potatoes. There’s a sinful amount of cheese and of course, sausage. It can’t be Creamy Sausage Ball Soup without sausage, right?!
And I’m going to let you in on a little secret: this soup is absolutely delightful for breakfast! I’m not kidding, it’s fantastic in the morning. You could fry an egg to put on top and boy oh boy would your day start off the right way!
As for cooking methods, I made this keto soup in the Instant Pot but it is just as easily made in the crock-pot. I’ll give you instructions for both in the recipe card below.
If you’re a novice with the Instant Pot, let me just tell you there is literally nothing to be afraid of! The pressure cooker today is not the pressure cooker of the 50s. After you use the IP a few times, you’ll look at your Crock-Pot (R.I.P. Jack) as an archaic machine of a time long forgotten.
This Creamy Sausage Ball Soup was not only one of my favorite new recipes, but my picky kids and picky husband loved it too! We rarely finish leftovers in this house (I know, wasteful. #lifeofafoodblogger) but these leftovers went quick!
- 1 pound hot ground sausage
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 16 ounces fresh cauliflower florets
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups freshly shredded cheddar cheese
- extra cheese for garnish (optional)
- In a skillet over MED HIGH heat, brown the sausage until no longer pink. Use a wooden spoon to break up into small pieces as you cook. Alternatively, you may use the SAUTE function on the Instant Pot to cook the sausage. You do not have to drain the grease unless desired.
- Transfer the sausage to the pot. Add the broth, salt, and cauliflower. Stir to combine.
- Close the lid and seal the vent. Cook on HIGH pressure for 20 minutes. Quick release the steam. Press cancel.
- Remove the lid. Use a potato masher to gently break apart the cauliflower into small pieces. Add the heavy cream and cheeses and stir until melted and combined.
- Top with cheddar cheese before serving, if desired.
To make in the crock-pot: follow steps 1 and 2. Cook on low for 5 hours or high for 3 hours. When there is 30 minutes left on the timer, add the cream cheese and stir. When the timer goes off, follow steps 4 and 5.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 7 Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 623 Total Fat: 53.2g Carbohydrates: 7.5g Fiber: 1.6g Protein: 26.4g