This BBQ cheddar meatloaf is made without breadcrumbs, grains, or oatmeal so it is gluten free, low carb, keto, and clean. Instead, this keto meatloaf recipe uses homemade gluten free bread crumbs. Boasting with flavor and incredibly simple to prepare, this gluten free meatloaf is a quick and easy low carb dinner recipe that is sure to be on your future rotations!
What Makes this Meatloaf Gluten Free
This meatloaf recipe is free of grains and gluten because it does not use breadcrumbs, oatmeal, or rice like many traditional meatloaf recipes. Seasoning packets or dry mixes are also not used because those are commonly full of preservatives that may not be gluten free. Instead, this bbq cheddar meatloaf is seasoned with dried spices and Worcestershire sauce.
What is Used for Binding This Gluten Free Meatloaf
This gluten free meatloaf uses my homemade gluten free bread crumbs as a binder. They are made of almond flour, ground flax seed, water, and seasonings. It may sound intimidating to make bread crumbs from scratch but it only takes about 10 minutes. You can watch a video tutorial on this post to see how easy it is to make your “bread” crumbs. The bread crumbs are the perfect consistency for binding a meatloaf together!
Is This a Keto Meatloaf Recipe
Yes, this meatloaf fits within keto macros. Grains and high carb ingredients are not included in this recipe to keep this a low carb meatloaf. Using a sugar free bbq sauce and grain free bread crumb keep this low carb meatloaf within keto macros. Use grass-fed beef and pasture raised eggs for the cleanest and highest fat source whenever possible.
What Kind of BBQ Sauce To Use in this Meatloaf
Depending on your dietary needs, bbq sauce choices will vary. Unfortunately, most sugar free bbq sauces use sucralose (or similar) to sweeten them. For a budget friendly option, I prefer this one. For a clean sugar free option, this one is a popular choice.
What Does this BBQ Cheddar Meatloaf Taste Like
If you weren’t told, you’d never know this meatloaf was keto and gluten free because it tastes like a real meatloaf. It is a bit of a cross between a burger and traditional meatloaf. The bbq sauce and cheddar cheese kick this low carb meatloaf up a notch. Homemade “bread” crumbs, egg, and high quality beef keep this meatloaf from drying out so every bite is moist and juicy.
Side Dishes to Compliment this Keto Meatloaf
- 1 pound 80/20 ground beef
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar free bbq sauce, plus more for top if desired
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup gluten free bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- pinch salt
- pinch pepper
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, divided into 1/2 cup and 1/4 cup
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except 1/4 cup cheese. Use a wooden spoon to combine everything until mixed. Be careful not to over mix the meat.
- Line a baking sheet with foil. Place the meatloaf mixture on the baking sheet and pat into an even rectangle shape. Top with remaining cheddar cheese. If desired, add more sugar free bbq sauce to the top, about 2 tablespoons.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Let rest 5 minutes before cutting and serving.
Double recipe for a larger family. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge up to 5 days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 441Total Fat: 34gCarbohydrates: 6gNet Carbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gProtein: 28g